Samsung TV Media Browser Theatre

Kweegly

Kweegly

Hi Everyone,

First off hopefully I have the right section of the forum, if not apologies.

I have recently purchased a Samsung smart TV and have an issue when watching videos through Media Browser Theatre which I access through the TV's web browser.

What I experience is the following..

Theatre homepage loads fine and I login, I then see my recently added videos or I can browse my collections fine. Any video that I click play on will start to play fine for 20 seconds then all of a sudden without error the video stops and I am returned to the previous page.

Someone in the chat room suggested it might be a transcoding issue so I checked the logs but I couldn't really see anything, then again I wasn't to sure what to look for.

I have attached the transcoding logs.

Things I have tried are..

Playing a video directly on the tv using its network browse feature rather than using Media Browser Theatre, this worked fine.

I also noticed that if I went to multimedia there was an option called Emby which if I clicked on seemed to list everything in folders, these also played fine.

Transcoding.txt

CBers

I think you may have the wrong terminology, but Media Browser Theater is not available through a browser.

Did you perhaps mean the web client?

Have you tried the Samsung Smart TV app?

See here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9869-samsung-smart-tv-app-install-instructions/

Edited by CBers

Kweegly

Thanks, I think I might have the terminology wrong, I basically load my library in the web browser using the IP of my server.

I have installed the smart app but the time it takes to load my library is huge :(

CBers

Sounds like it's the web client.

Do you have a large library?

I have 500+ movies and 60+ TV shows, plus music and photos and the interface loads almost instantly.

Kweegly

Yeah the library is pretty big, talking 16tb.

The browser interface works fine on my phone for example just on the TV it plays the first 20 seconds then stops.

The Samsung App loads the first page of the library (either movies or TV) then when I browse to the next page it grinds to a halt.

Beardyname

Yeah the library is pretty big, talking 16tb.

The browser interface works fine on my phone for example just on the TV it plays the first 20 seconds then stops.

The Samsung App loads the first page of the library (either movies or TV) then when I browse to the next page it grinds to a halt.

It's probably the built in web-browser being poorly made :/ I have seen this on some smart tv's as well.

As for the samsung app having problems with the 2nd page, could it be that the app has not been updated for some time?

Kweegly

Thanks guys, just tried it again to be sure and the Samsung app loaded the second page but when I browsed into the series and it stopped loading.

With regards to the web client you suspect the TV's browser to be the problem, does this mean the transcoding log I uploaded is fine, also is there any other logs that might help diagnose the issue?

Beardyname

Thanks guys, just tried it again to be sure and the Samsung app loaded the second page but when I browsed into the series and it stopped loading.

With regards to the web client you suspect the TV's browser to be the problem, does this mean the transcoding log I uploaded is fine, also is there any other logs that might help diagnose the issue?

The multimedia --> emby thing you were talking about is the DLNA part of the server and if they work great then great! :) (DLNA is probably a great way to play stuff on your tv)

If the server loads fine in your phone's browser and any computer browser than it's probably the tv's built in browser :(

For the app i think what @@CBers said makes sense, I don't have a samsung smart tv so i can't help at all with that app.

And yes the transcoding looks fine to me, although I'm not an expert in this subject!

Kweegly

Thanks again for the replies, I'm guessing if I use DLNA media browser won't update the watched status etc?

FrostByte

Strange, I have 672 movies and 4198 albums and the new version 585 Samsung app loads just fine for me unless there is a scan going on the server.  If a scan is going when it first starts up I can't even get it to load.   Just wait until it's over then restart and I've never had any issues using version 585.  There was a rewrite of the app recently which helps to load music artists, etc faster. 

chessdragon136

I'm sorry but what's slow?

Is the initial load fast then its slow to navigate beyond 150 items or so?

Kweegly

Hi Chessdragon136,

When the app loads and I choose a library, either movies or TV the first page loads fine and displays the items, when I was browsing to the second page the app would initially show the items (no images) then stop responding. The TV was new yesterday so I continued to look into settings on the TV and found that there were quite a few updates for me to installed, I did this and the app responds well now so I'm not sure if that has resolved it.

The App is great :)

Two questions though..

Does the App pull the watched status from my server? so if I watch something using the web client on my ipad it will show as watched on the TV App as this didn't seem to happen when I tried.

I read that the green button on the remote mark items as watched, can you do this from the initial cover for the series rather than having to mark each episode as watched? also are there plans to show the number of unwatched items for each series on the series cover? (The TV series rather than series1, series2 etc).

chessdragon136

It should be yes - Check it is marked as watched on the server

And no, I don't support marking an entire series or season - I was advised not to by the server devs at the time (basically it could cause issues with Trackt)