Android client : bitrate issue ?

Malibukoko

Malibukoko

Hi

First of all, congrats for RC, one step closer to the final version \o/

I've been using those beta for several weeks already, i have a big issue regarding the bitrate of HD streams.

SD and 720p streams are fine, same goes for low bitrate 1080p (i assume as some of them are playing smoothly) but most of my 1080p rips are not smooth at all on the embedded player. It's playing 10s then stops.

I'm using a HTC One which doesn't seem to have any issues at all at playing such a high bitrate stream (at least using MX Player). My Wi-Fi is out of question as well, i can get 25+MB/s stable (802.11ac) and peaking up to 40. Also playing those medias with MX Player works like a charm. 

Why not using the "external player" option you ask ? Simply because MX Player doesn't support HD audio streams (DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD DD etc) so most of my movies cannot be properly played as long as i usually include HD audio streams.

I was also wondering about the transcoding load on the server's hardware, but i'm using i3-3240T (dual core, hyperthreading, 2.9 GHz, Ivy Bridge) so i thought this would be safe. If it isn't and i'm lacking enough CPU power to properly transcode my HD movies, why not alowing not to transcode the video (aside from audio, which has probably to be transcoded anyways)as my wireless bandwidth and smartphone hardware are powerful enough to play this ?

Thanks for reading :)

Malibukoko

Where to find "ffmpeg log" ? And as for the server log, it's full of metadata updates, should i do something specific to clean and sort it so you only get useful data ?

CBers

Where to find "ffmpeg log" ? And as for the server log, it's full of metadata updates, should i do something specific to clean and sort it so you only get useful data ?

The ffmpeg log is in the same folder as the server log.