subtitle naming convention

blackmamba

blackmamba

How should language specific subtitles be named?

Somehow , mostly likely my own stupidity, I have ended up with subtitles named in 3 different styles and in many cases I have all 3 files 

moveName.en.srt

moveName.eng.srt

moveName.eng.en.srt

I think en.srt comes from MCM (which is set to create files with 2 char ISO codes), eng.srt might be MB (which doesn't seem to have an option to control whether using 2 or 3 char codes) and eng.en.srt might be me screwing things up recently trying to manually rename all srt files when I had to rename all srt files to get MB to recognise the default language.

So how should they be named?

TIA

Rob

blackmamba

I had read that before but unfortunately it doesn't make it clear as to what format MB uses when you have it set to download subtitles.

There are at least 3 different possible forms you could use for a language, say for english it could be english.srt, eng.srt or en.srt which does MB use when it generates subtitles and therefore which does it recognise as matching your default language.       

Maleficarum

I believe the default when downloading is the three letter code. However it also recognises the full name. Personally I am using NAME.english.srt or in cases where there is an additional track i use NAME.english.SDH.srt or NAME.english.commentary.srt, etc.

Edited by Maleficarum
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
ABNParatrooper

I like that Emby is downloading the subtitles for me so I don't have to look for them. I am not happy with how it is naming the files. For subtitles to work, the sub files  have to match the movie file name. Emby is getting the name correct, but it adds that language to the file name which won't work like that. If movie is called Life, Emby downloads the subtitle file but names it Life.eng.srt. If I rename it to match the movie title, Emby redownloads another file. How can I configure Emby to stick to the movie title and not append the language to the subtitle name?

ABNParatrooper

I could be wrong in saying it doesn't work like that. I am going based on the normal concept that in order for subtitles to work, the subtitle file has to be named EXACTLY like the movie file. I will leave the Emby downloaded file and see if the subtitles work, then I will provide feedback. Thanks for the rapid response.

I could be wrong in saying it doesn't work like that. I am going based on the normal concept that in order for subtitles to work, the subtitle file has to be named EXACTLY like the movie file. I will leave the Emby downloaded file and see if the subtitles work, then I will provide feedback. Thanks for the rapid response.

It will work, example:

moviename.mkv

moviename.eng.srt

moviename.ara.srt

etc.

The matching here correct for subtitles file.

Vidman

Having the 3 character language code is pretty much standard to allow for subtitles in more than one language for the movie. Edited by Vidman

ABNParatrooper

Ok thanks for all the responses, they do work, but only for MP4. They don't work for avi nor mkv files. In order for them to work, I have to setup an external player.

ABNParatrooper

It means that if the movie file is either .avi or .mkv, the subtitles do not show. However, if I configure an external player like vlc, they work on the external player.

Maleficarum

Ok thanks for all the responses, they do work, but only for MP4. They don't work for avi nor mkv files. In order for them to work, I have to setup an external player.

I have only mkv files and subs are working fine for me.

ABNParatrooper

Hmm, what codecs do you have installed, or what configuring settings should I be making sure are set/or not set to make my mkv's work?

• 7 years later...

Revisiting this as I can't seem to get something to work.

My subtitle setting is English and No subtitles.  I typically just choose what works and then I know emby will remember.  But I would like to set them in case that memory ever gets cleared or reset.

I always want non english parts or foreign to be displayed (forced).  I can get external sub to display by using the supported format and adding .forced, but I can't seem to get a description added, it breaks it.

IE

moviename.English.forced.srt shows as English, but I would prefer it say Foreign parts or Non English parts.  I know no spaces, but using a minus isn't working for me.

English-Foreign.forced doesn't work.

Is there a way for it to show something like "English Foreign parts" or something like that?  Just saying English is misleading as most of the time that means subtitles are on for english words also.

Thanks

3 hours ago, zebo51 said:

Revisiting this as I can't seem to get something to work.

My subtitle setting is English and No subtitles.  I typically just choose what works and then I know emby will remember.  But I would like to set them in case that memory ever gets cleared or reset.

I always want non english parts or foreign to be displayed (forced).  I can get external sub to display by using the supported format and adding .forced, but I can't seem to get a description added, it breaks it.

IE

moviename.English.forced.srt shows as English, but I would prefer it say Foreign parts or Non English parts.  I know no spaces, but using a minus isn't working for me.

English-Foreign.forced doesn't work.

Is there a way for it to show something like "English Foreign parts" or something like that?  Just saying English is misleading as most of the time that means subtitles are on for english words also.

Thanks

Hi, try movie.en.forced.srt. I would not use English.

The server should display it as forced, but there's no way at this time to provide a custom description.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Has the behaviour of emby changed at some point? Because before subtitles were downloaded with three letter codes (xx.eng.srt) and now they are downloading with two letter codes (xx.en.srt)

The wiki is ambiguous, all the examples use three letter "eng" but then the final example uses zh-CN, zh-SG ,etc. I have no preference which is used, but I would like to be clear, so I can manually rename existing subtitles on new files to match.

This is a minor thing, but it's annoying because if I'm not careful I can end up with duplicates that I need to clean. Plus, if the names are inconsistent, it's not possible to easily search for files in a certain language.

2 hours ago, mtjj said:

Has the behaviour of emby changed at some point? Because before subtitles were downloaded with three letter codes (xx.eng.srt) and now they are downloading with two letter codes (xx.en.srt)

The wiki is ambiguous, all the examples use three letter "eng" but then the final example uses zh-CN, zh-SG ,etc. I have no preference which is used, but I would like to be clear, so I can manually rename existing subtitles on new files to match.

This is a minor thing, but it's annoying because if I'm not careful I can end up with duplicates that I need to clean. Plus, if the names are inconsistent, it's not possible to easily search for files in a certain language.

HI, yes this has changed. You can name your files either way, but the two letter codes are recommended because they are more specific.  Sometimes there are cases where multiple two letter codes share the same three letter codes, which makes it possible to map back and forth and get the same result.

For this reason, all of the server's internal operations have been changed to be based on the two letter code.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI, yes this has changed. You can name your files either way, but the two letter codes are recommended because they are more specific.  Sometimes there are cases where multiple two letter codes share the same three letter codes, which makes it possible to map back and forth and get the same result.

For this reason, all of the server's internal operations have been changed to be based on the two letter code.

OK, cool. Actually two letter codes are easier for me to remember because I see them more often elsewhere on the web, so a good change, in my opinion :)

• Thanks 1