OT: Intel NUC5i3RYK or NUC5i5RYK

crashkelly

crashkelly

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my existing desktop box with something that is of a much smaller form factor and reclaim some of my desk space. I am currently running a medium size tower that is on the floor beside my chair and then 2 8-bay mediasonic caddies that sit up on my desk. The current system as serving as my desktop pc as well as my EMBY server and I want to relocate the desktop box and caddies and dedicate it to running EMBY server. The latter will exist only until I put the nickels away to buy a real server.

Right now I am flipping back and forth between NUC5i3RYK and NUC5i5RYK as they are small and can mount right to the back of my monitor. The NUC will serve only as my desktop replacement for web browsing, email, Microsoft Office, and the odd bit of media from EMBY. I already have an AsRock HTPC so the NUC will not have that responsibility. Whichever one I buy I will be dropping a 128GB M.2 SSD, I want to grab a PCI-E one but it is twice the price for the same storage, and 8GB of RAM, maybe 16 right away, but for sure later, into it

Anyway, my question\concern is about going with the i3 version and not having the juice to do what I want, or at least it struggling to do what I want. On the other side, the i5 model is about $140 more up here in Canada and if I do not need it I would rather drop the $$$ on extra memory or a PCI-E SSD.

Thanks for any input and opinions

Cheers

CrashKelly

Cheesegeezer

I think you will be absolutely fine with the i3, I probably should have got an i3 for my bedroom NUC in hind sight.  it's more than capable of doing the tasks you want.  You will need to use win8.1 on them.  I think they are optimized for that OS.

What's the attractiveness for the Pci-e SSD?  

Edited by Cheesegeezer

techywarrior

lol, I bought the i5 version and for a while I was running MBS and WMC/MBC on it. I am sure you will be fine with the i3 if all you are doing is basic web browsing, media consumption and MS Office.

crashkelly

I think you will be absolutely fine with the i3, I probably should have got an i3 for my bedroom NUC in hind sight.  it's more than capable of doing the tasks you want.  You will need to use win8.1 on them.  I think they are optimized for that OS.

What's the attractiveness for the Pci-e SSD?  

Thanks for the opinion. The PCI-E SSD does not use SATA and thereby is faster. The M.2 SATA would be just fine for me, but I have an issue with the "but that is better" .... :huh:

Win 8.1 is not an issue. Have a few copies I splurged on when they were selling the upgrade for like $40

lol, I bought the i5 version and for a while I was running MBS and WMC/MBC on it. I am sure you will be fine with the i3 if all you are doing is basic web browsing, media consumption and MS Office.

Thanks. Never owned anything i3 before so am a little shy of venturing into the new territory

Cheers

CrashKelly

Edited by crashkelly