Best living room device

pr3dict

swhitmore

There will be light refreshments at the end of the thread. 

Screw that! Bring out the hard stuff  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer

First - I am not trying to be abusive here - but with WMC on the ropes, I really want to understand the *exact* problems with Kodi as a replacement.

Yeah... Complex... Tell me again how to get MKVs to play in WMC?  And how do you toggle subtitles with a remote?  I am just pointing out that just because you have solved those problems doesn't mean it was easy - and with Kodi those two things are built-in.  I do understand your youtube comment though - I have been tortured into watching a 10 year old explain how to install a minecraft mod to make my 8 year old happy :) .. That said - we have lots of non-youtube info in the Kodi forum.

Again... Specifics.  What *exactly* do you mean? Screenshots of UI enhancements in MBC that you want in a Kodi skin.

It's not easy to get subs working in MBC, i have it working nicely and playing mkvs, but the setup was intense.  Registering a standalone filter from MPC_HC standalone filters.  Setting up FFDShow to work very well and installing MCERemote to get subs working(requires FFDShow).  

Kodi has some really nice player options built in and allow you to choose preferred decoders, it's a good thing. Kodi isn't for me, i've tried it over and over again and always come back to MB.  It's good to test the water.  MediaPortal was another i tried, didn't get on with that at all.  But I remember using XBMC on the original xbox(mod chipped) which is where it kinda originated from back in like 2001 or something.

As a final word, WMC is only on the ropes if M$ pull the plug on a Win10 release.  ;)

MSattler

I have been using Kodi with the Artic Thunder or whatever it is called skin. I run it on a Fire TV, Minix Neo x8h Plus, and a Nexus Player. Same experience on all of them. With the HDHomerun Plugin I also get Live tv playback. I can break my movies out the way they are in wmc with Emby. I get cover art and it is just as fast as wmc. The new emby sync client works very well.

The beauty of it is that kodi runs on almost anything so it is easy to duplicate the look on multiple devices.

• Like 2

Macburp

I have been using Kodi with the Artic Thunder or whatever it is called skin. I run it on a Fire TV, Minix Neo x8h Plus, and a Nexus Player. Same experience on all of them. With the HDHomerun Plugin I also get Live tv playback. I can break my movies out the way they are in wmc with Emby. I get cover art and it is just as fast as wmc. The new emby sync client works very well.

The beauty of it is that kodi runs on almost anything so it is easy to duplicate the look on multiple devices.

On the NP, do you see Kodi on the list of installed apps, or do you need to go through the Settings menu to get there? Does the NP remote work, or do you need an air mouse?

MSattler

On the NP, do you see Kodi on the list of installed apps, or do you need to go through the Settings menu to get there? Does the NP remote work, or do you need an air mouse?

It shows as installed, right next to Emby (Android TV) =)

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

For now, I am sticking with the Roku. It simply works and works well. My autistic step-son can use it without problems. The sheer number of channels/apps isn't matched anywhere else either. It also plays Time Warner Cable live television without hassle. Unfortunately, the Emby interface is falling behind others but there is time for it to catch up. Roku just refreshed the hardware on its Roku 2 and introduced voice search. They also provide a really nice remote control app for most portable devices.

We will have a new roku ui but the app is nicely staying up to date with features. It is only in the presentation that it needs updating

• Like 3

Koleckai Silvestri

We will have a new roku ui but the app is nicely staying up to date with features. It is only in the presentation that it needs updating

Yes, feature-wise it is on par. 

fantaxp7

Xbox one media player with media browser DLNA from the server.

Really amazing picture quality. It must be the Xbox graphics. Some of the best I have ever scene.

And hopefully in the near future, an Xbox one emby app.

I've noticed the same too.

I may consider switching to this for awhile once there is an app developed for it. And use either tv streaming from MB server or connect a cable box to the XB1 and see how that is. 

jhevener

I like the Emby Roku app pretty well myself. Will be great with a few tweaks to the LiveTV interface. I have the Roku 3 and the video and surround are awesome through a Denon HDMI receiver. I'm not a huge fan of what seem to be Roku limitations on the interface side of things but it does what it does very well.

jhevener

On one PC, I'm running ServerWMC on my Emby server and using the Kodi Emby plugin along with the ServerWMC plugin in Kodi. LiveTV works pretty good but I'm going to have to check out that HDHomeRun Kodi plugin for LiveTV.

Deihmos

+1 for that. Personally I've never found a Kodi skin that really appealed, whereas MBC and MBT are good-looking clients.

You should try the Aeon Nox skin. That's the best skin imo. I have moved away from WMC for video playback but still use it for live tv which I hardly ever look at. I find Kodi to be a much better solution for video over WMC.

MSattler

On one PC, I'm running ServerWMC on my Emby server and using the Kodi Emby plugin along with the ServerWMC plugin in Kodi. LiveTV works pretty good but I'm going to have to check out that HDHomeRun Kodi plugin for LiveTV.

For the plugin to work best load the last nightly Isengard builds.  With 14 and the 15 Alpha releases I would get audio but no video, the nightlies fix that issue.

Macburp

You should try the Aeon Nox skin. That's the best skin imo. I have moved away from WMC for video playback but still use it for live tv which I hardly ever look at. I find Kodi to be a much better solution for video over WMC.

I had a go at getting Kodi/Emby going a while back on my windows PC (XBMC / XB3MC then) using Aeon Nox, and got it working well with Emby and the BBC iPlayer plug-in. I did find it tough to get the information I needed to get going. Although Aeon Nox worked perfectly I decided I didn't like it :(. I tried other skins and could not get things the way I wanted them. Given that Kodi runs well on a Nexus Player I may give it another go with the new plug-in - the Bello skin is a good fit for WMC refugees.

• Like 1

MSattler

I had a go at getting Kodi/Emby going a while back on my windows PC (XBMC / XB3MC then) using Aeon Nox, and got it working well with Emby and the BBC iPlayer plug-in. I did find it tough to get the information I needed to get going. Although Aeon Nox worked perfectly I decided I didn't like it :(. I tried other skins and could not get things the way I wanted them. Given that Kodi runs well on a Nexus Player I may give it another go with the new plug-in - the Bello skin is a good fit for WMC refugees.

That has been my biggest complaint with Kodi.  Trying it on android I didn't have a mouse or keyboard attached.  A Month later I finally figured out how to change the media views to thumbnails, and cover art.  I felt like the worlds biggest idiot, but I just didn't find good info like we have on here, and not everything is intuitive.

That being said Isengard changes things a bit, things like the Add/On process and layout makes more sense to me now.

• Like 1

Macburp

That has been my biggest complaint with Kodi.  Trying it on android I didn't have a mouse or keyboard attached.  A Month later I finally figured out how to change the media views to thumbnails, and cover art.  I felt like the worlds biggest idiot, but I just didn't find good info like we have on here, and not everything is intuitive.

That being said Isengard changes things a bit, things like the Add/On process and layout makes more sense to me now.

Interesting. @@MSattler, what skin do you use? I was wondering if you could get things set up on another PC in the network (with keyboard/mouse, access to tuts and the tedious youtube videos) and then copy over the required files to a fresh Kodi install on the NP - that might need root access on the NP, mind you. Already installed ES Explore File Manager on the NP but have not been able to get set up for network access as it is not a leanback app.

Having said that I'm happy with the Emby Android TV app but I want BBC iPlayer too.

MSattler

Interesting. @@MSattler, what skin do you use? I was wondering if you could get things set up on another PC in the network (with keyboard/mouse, access to tuts and the tedious youtube videos) and then copy over the required files to a fresh Kodi install on the NP - that might need root access on the NP, mind you. Already installed ES Explore File Manager on the NP but have not been able to get set up for network access as it is not a leanback app.

Having said that I'm happy with the Emby Android TV app but I want BBC iPlayer too.

I'm using the Artic: Zephyr skin right now.  You could probably do that, I've never tried it, but there is the Kodi backup utility which you could attempt it with.