10 Gigabit Ethernet

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

I am currently thinking of switching my server room to 10 Gigabit Ethernet. This consists of four machines currently, web server, two file servers, and media server. Is anyone using 10 Gigabit Ethernet on their internal networks yet? If so can you recommend a router for under $1000?

pir8radio

Not to nae-say or anything... I'm all for going for the gold!   :D   But are you even using the full gig pipe your probably have now?   I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but for the price of 10gig to every device vs switch pipes is not worth the price..  Depending on your setup there are tons of better options,  like 4 port gig cards with load balancing switches.   Hell an all fiber network might be cheaper than 10gig copper...   But either way, if you stick with the 10 gig copper idea i wouldn't worry about a 10gig "ROUTER" i doubt you have a 10 gig internet connection, i would look at 10gig switches and run your regular (or a cheaper) router into that.  Your only going to use high speed internally....  and i doubt you have the setup to push enough data to make 10 gig worth while..  If your file server has a raid 5 or 6 with all SSD's and multiple devices accessing huge files at the same time, maybe...  Check out that link above its a relatively inexpensive 10gig capable fiber switch they may sell 10gig copper SFP's to put into it. so you can do 10 gig fiber to your servers and 1 gig copper to the rest of your gear.    I think i would rather tell my friends my whole setup is fiber.. lol   :lol:

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

This would just be for the servers talking to each other. Not the entire home network of 50 odd devices or the internet connection. Just looking at options now for one of the switches and one network segment in the home.

Thanks for the suggestions.

pir8radio

Not to stop your post, I'm curious if anyone is using 10GbE in their home too!      

On a side note, if its just your servers you want to talk over 10GbE you can get a 4 port 10gig network card and put it in your best server then single port 10GbE for the other boxes, crossover cables between them bridge the 4 port box?    Not ideal but cheaper...    

spootdev

Not to stop your post, I'm curious if anyone is using 10GbE in their home too!      

Yep, using 10Gb ethernet and 20/40Gb infiniband in my house atm.

10GbE is still way too expensive for home use yet, and actually has little benefit. Can't see many are regularly saturating 1GbE either, so only worth it if you've got money to burn. Even a 'cheap' Netgear 8 port 10GbE switch will cost you around £700 ($1100) and that's before you've bought the 10GbE NIC's. You'll also need CAT6a cabling as well, which most don't have.

Just remember, if you think GbE is a bottleneck to performance, often 10GbE just moves the bottleneck somewhere else.

• Like 1

snazy2000

Ive been looking in to this for while, it can be done pretty cheap if you know where to look, the brocade 1020 is a good cheap 10gb card. There is a thread over at servethehome about them. If you look at there networking forum alot of people have got cheap 10gb setups :)

sodapop

The Netgear ProSAFE Plus XS708E lists for $1,400 but you can get it retail for $850. It can sustain 6.9Gbps and while it only has 8 copper ports there is an SFP port as well.

My core switch is a Cisco Catalyst WS-C3750G-24TS-E (10/100/1000 layer 2 & 3) and when streaming HD from the NAS it's interface runs at 0.40% utilization with a peak every 10 seconds at 4.15% utilization. At that load level I'd run out of devices to stream to before I choked anything with the infrastructure. Even though the switch officially went end-of-life about a year ago I have no plans to change it.

I feel most consumer level hardware used to lack the raw processing power to match the port speeds. People would buy an $80 gigabit switch and wonder why they noticed no improvement. Over the last 18 months things have really changed, achieving 70% of rated port speed was unheard of unless you had a commercial grade switch and very deep pockets. That isn't the case any more.

Always build out from the core, starting with the highest rated thru-put (and what used to be most expensive) switch you can afford. Even if nothing else is changed you will know the core isn't the bottleneck.

Koleckai Silvestri

Thanks for the comments. Will take them into consideration while researching.

dark_slayer

A single magnetic HDD is usually your bottleneck on massive home storage servers. Writing a 40GB blu-ray from one HDD to another with consumer HDDs can see 160MB/s at best. A majority will see 140 or worse. Standard gigabit will approach 110 easily with an Intel Nic on the server. Unless you are using solid state storage (end to end), striped RAID configurations, or high-end consumer/enterprise HDDs you would barely notice a difference.

It's tough to recommend any direct path at this point, because when certain "upgrades" hang on the fringe for so long it's not clear they'll every be adopted in mass (like 3D, oled, pcie-storage, etc). The sweet spot economically could eventually just leap frog right over 10GigE, imho

I think a logical path when you consider what's on the horizon for storage is a continual drop in flash based storage in $/GB. If/when it beats platter based storage (not just for our extremely small media serving niche, but by all PERC and Supermicro servers, nas, mass data storage centers, etc) then there would be a fairly quick adoption of the "next" connectivity standard. If it never happens I'm not seeing any compelling reason for the standard to go further. Heck a couple more revs to 802.11 and it may become the "next" standard instead.

The best proposal in my mind, and what I'd do in my own home (when we become homeowners) would be just to lay cat6a with as many conduits, raceways, and smurf tubes as possible. Then pulling something new is trivial when the industry moves the goal posts in another decade. If the goal posts move to 10G then cat 6a should be fine. I would probably even go 5e depending on the runs. Until I have any pressing need I wouldn't upgrade any other networking gear though