Folder Sync Missing A Trick, or I am!

radeon
Go to solution Solved by Latchmor,

radeon

Hey guys, the folder sync seems to be a great idea, however, it seems to have missed a trick or I have missed a place to configure it.

I have a tonne of media already optimised for players such as roku, then other full hd high bit rate stuff, these are split into separate folders and added to media browser as seperate media folders.

It seems that even though the plugin is called "folder sync" you cant actually sync folders, only collections (i.e. TV, Movies etc), so when I come to want to use folder sync to only sync and transcode those full hd vids in my Movies HD folder, I dont have a sync option available to me. Only the collections which contains all movies from all of my media folders combined has an option to sync.

Can the sync facility be added to the Media Folders within the web ui too please?

Cheers,

Edited by radeon

radeon

"Folder" refers to the target, not the source.

That's great, but it still doesn't solve the issue and really not the point of my question, but OK.

It seems a little backwards to have a facility which doesn't enable you to select those movies which reside in a certain folder or meet a certain criteria to actually sync/transcode so they can be directly streamed.

I have 1700+ movies which directly stream and around 400 full 1080 high bitrate ones that transcode. If i set it off on the whole movie collection, surely ill end up with 1700 duplicates i dont want or need?

Edited by radeon

Latchmor

Hi Radeon, I'm maybe not understanding you but I have a sync option on every Media Folder, View/Collection, Movie, Playlist, Episode etc so I can sync exactly what I want. A whole media folder 'Comedy' or the whole collection 'TV' or a playlist called 'HD' or just one item.

I suspect I'm not actually seeing what your problem is though...  ;)

I was simply explaining why "Folder Sync" didn't have anything to do with what you were syncing from.  Rather it is what you are syncing to.

radeon

Hi Radeon, I'm maybe not understanding you but I have a sync option on every Media Folder, View/Collection, Movie, Playlist, Episode etc so I can sync exactly what I want. A whole media folder 'Comedy' or the whole collection 'TV' or a playlist called 'HD' or just one item.

I suspect I'm not actually seeing what your problem is though...  ;)

Hey @@Latchmor,

ok, try this for me, go to the web dashboard, click the menu icon top left, then select "Folders" (you need to have "Display a folders view to show plain media folders" enabled within "My Preferences>Display"), then pick one of your plain media media folders and see if a sync option is available, this is where I would really make use as all of my full HD, high bitrate movies as stored in a separate folder.

• Solution
Latchmor

Hey @@Latchmor,

ok, try this for me, go to the web dashboard, click the menu icon top left, then select "Folders" (you need to have "Display a folders view to show plain media folders" enabled within "My Preferences>Display"), then pick one of your plain media media folders and see if a sync option is available, this is where I would really make use as all of my full HD, high bitrate movies as stored in a separate folder.

It is... however, you don't see a blue cloud sync icon but it you hover over the folder before entering it and use the slide up/3 dot menu there is a sync option in there

Edited by Latchmor
  • Like 2

radeon

It is... however, you don't see a blue cloud sync icon but it you hover over the folder before entering it and use the slide up/3 dot menu there is a sync option in there

Ahaa! see, now that's what I'm talking about! I was missing something! case closed! That's a much more helpful answer than correcting me on my definitions like others did!! Thanks @@Latchmor! :-D

Latchmor

Ahaa! see, now that's what I'm talking about! I was missing something! case closed! That's a much more helpful answer than correcting me on my definitions like others did!! Thanks @@Latchmor! :-D

I guess the Plain Folders are little too plain in this case lol. I must admit I never use the Edit or Sync icons and use the 3 dot menu for most stuff so I couldn't really miss it!  :)

I imagine ebr was like me at first thinking there is defo a sync option everywhere!

Edited by Latchmor

radeon

I guess the Plain Folders are little too plain in this case lol. I must admit I never use the Edit or Sync icons and use the 3 dot menu for most stuff so I couldn't really miss it!  :)

I imagine ebr was like me at first thinking there is defo a sync option everywhere!

Whilst im saying thanks, I can hear my server muttering "damn you latchmore" under its breath! haha! Thanks again.

• Like 3