Plugin Idea - Document Browser

dotnetzero

dotnetzero

I know we're no longer going with the '___ Browser' naming convention, but today I was at work and needed to pull a couple of PDF's off my server at home.  Instead of rdp'ing to home and grabbing them, or ftping.. i thought it would be nice if there was a plugin for MB that allowed me to browse my documents at home.  I don't see alot of benefit inside the various device clients, but as for the web client, I thought it would be pretty convenient.  I can browse pretty much everything else on the server (movies, shows, photos, books, etc), a generic Document Browser would pretty much cover everything else.  Just a thought.  

Thanks again for the great product.  One day i'll grow some balls and actually try to contribute from the development side of things ;)

hamstercat

I would suggest trying out ownCloud, it's an open-source Dropbox-like software you can install on your own server and it allows you to access your files anywhere you have a browser. It does take a bit of know-how to add everything required (HTTPS, port forwarding, etc), but after setting it up it works nicely.

• Like 1

Maleficarum

What formats would you use it for ? I believe bookshelf covers pdf already.

dotnetzero

Yeah, bookshelf handles pdfs already.  Personally I would used it for a wide variety of things.  Zip files, office documents, code files, etc.  I know there is a number of solutions out there to access your documents from anywhere.  The idea is to have access to everything all in a single place.  I know MB plugins typically sticks to entertainment-related media, so something like this might be venturing into a space where Emby doesn't want to go.