Music and MusicBrainz ID?

jriker1

jriker1

I just started organizing my music into artist, album, songs (1-,2-,3-,4-,...).  What I run into is for any given album on MusicBrainz there could be 10 or more based on country, type (CD/DVD), or extended versions.  Is it necessary or possible to tell MB which one of the albums on MusicBrainz a particular album is?  Is it necessary for it to index all the extra songs on my version?  I know with movies you can do like [tmdbid=#####] at the end of the folder name to tell it to go after a particular movie.

JR

Pais

I've been using a combination of MusicBrainz Picard (which makes it easy to identify which release my digital albums should map to) and mp3tag for adding MB friendly ID3 tags to my music files. It's a pretty painless process.

EDIT: How are you going about doing it? I can imagine that manually this would be very painful.

Edited by Pais

jriker1

Thanks for the reply.  I have hundreds, maybe thousands of albums in my Music folder.  Things I converted from CD's that I didn't want to maintain the space from, iTunes, etc.  Don't think they did any special tagging during the conversion process.  Some are individual songs that I bought a one of and just sitting in the root of my music folder.  Others have album names that may or may not make sense.  Some have artist folders with albums under them.  Kind of all over the place.  Not looking forward to the weeks of effort to pull it all together into a MB friendly format.  Looking at Picard, can it move your content or is it just a tagger?  Perception of organization is OK if everything could be tagged to make it look that way, but physical organization would be nice as well.

Thanks.

JR

Pais

I had my music in a folder format already supported by MB, so I can't be much help there. I've only used Picard for adding additional tags and it's been great at adding most of the tags that MB will read. There's probably someone around that can comment more intelligently on the organization side of things.

jriker1

Thanks.  Yeah, almost something like once you've tagged them, assuming it did a clean job of it, a program that could move things around based on those tags.  So if it finds a folder with nothing but Maroon 5 songs in it, move it to a folder called Maroon 5 and name that folder whatever the common album name is.  And if you find another folder with Maroon 5 songs in it, move that folder into the existing Maroon 5 folder and do the same for it.  In theory.

JR

jriker1

Thanks.  Picard kind of messed it up.  If it was in a folder called UB40\Labor of Love, ended up in a folder called UB40\Labor of Love\UB40\Labor of Love.  Not really what the example said it would do but gonna have to try and clean this.  Plus it took songs from one folder (same album), and assocated them with other albums so moved a group of music from one folder into a few here and a few there and a few somewhere else.  Ugh.  Guess this tagging isn't perfect.

JR

EDIT:  Used a program called TagScanner to fix things.  Seems better now.  Did a better job with folderizing things.  Had a preview option also to see what everything would do which was nice.

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

Seems like I'm in a good place now.  Thank you for all your help.  Saved me days of work.  Now last question.  My final output is without any of the already existing image art or metadata.  Done on purpose.  Want it clean.  How do I do a full refresh of all the data?  Assuming MB will eventually pick up all the changes and process them?  I deleted the entire music folder and put the new version with sorted content and just audio file into it again.

JR

Pais

Once you update the music files a library scan should update all the data within MB. Depending upon your settings this may happen automatically if you're monitoring your library folders. You can also launch it manually via Dashboard-Scheduled Tasks-Scan media library.

thefirstofthe300

Picard will create subfolders and put the music in the if you don't also check the option to move to a directory.

Just FYI.  :)

Glad you got your music tagged the way you wanted. 

• 2 months later...
claytonb

I have imported my library from iTunes but does not show primary images doesn't MB support the iTunes format?

I have imported my library from iTunes but does not show primary images doesn't MB support the iTunes format?

what is the format?

claytonb

Not sure, when I browse library there are no images show for Album Artists and Artists?