Metadata settings question and possible suggestion

genro

Hi,

I think I may have found an odd situation for the Metadata settings for those of us who have our libraries set to read only.

I have enabled the option "Download artwork and metadata from the internet", however my libraries are read only shares (unraid) so they cannot be copied to the folders where the media resides.

The settings under Advanced-->Metadata path was blank (no idea why - maybe I never saw that).

Given this what would be the expected behavior? Is there a default path if metadata path is blank?

The reason I asked, is that I noticed for libraries where I had not previously added any metadata it was extremely slow to initially load (via MBC).

Once I set a metadata path and let the library scan after, I noticed it loaded faster.

Are these two settings linked or is there a default path if you don't fill it in? If the former, can I suggest putting them in the same settings tab or putting in a default path if there isn't.

Thanks!

There is a default path but the more important setting in your instance would be the one to save artwork and metadata in the media folders.

There is a default path but the more important setting in your instance would be the one to save artwork and metadata in the media folders.

Hi Ebr, that setting was always unchecked for me. Any reason why it seems like specifying a path seemed to clear up my slow load times? I'll have to test more, but it was consistent behavior across multiple clients using MBC. It seemed like only with MBC on the server pc was where it was not always slow to load that particular library.

The path you indicated was faster than the default?

My brief testing seemed to feel like this was the case on multiple clients. The new path is just a folder I created on the system drive (SSD). Where is the default folder? I have my transcoding setup to a mechanical HD but have server installed on my system drive (SSD).

The basis of my issues is that for one particular library (which is where I copy my recently ripped media, that contains a mix of movies/tv shows) it is very slow in MBC to initially load no matter which client HTPC I use. I often get the error message that MBC needs to restart or that's not responding (I realize that's a windows native timeout type of message). After a few tries it does load properly. This media resides on a drive on my desktop computer, while my other media point to folders on my unraid. I can dig up logs but I never saw anything obvious but it's been like this for a few months.

Do you think the changes to how mixed media is handled could be an underlying factor? The rest of my libraries are just one media type and still load just fine in MBC.