"series" of specials inside a series (for the show LOST)

tp546

tp546

hey guys, i am having an issue trying to get a pretty specific set of specials working for a TV show (LOST) - i basically have a specials folder embedded in my series (see screenshot below) that aligns with each episode and it doesn't work properly anymore (since the change months ago). what happens is that each specials episode shows up inside the seasons next to the actual episode and when one gets played the other is marked as played too. what i want to happen (and what used to happen) is to have specials show up as an embedded series for no better description - i can access it only through the actual series menu as if it were a season, but then once i enter it, everything shows up as if it is another instance of the show. here is what it looks like:

Screenshot%202015-03-18%2000.33.06.png

Screenshot%202015-03-18%2000.45.13.png

Koleckai Silvestri

I put all my specials in the specials folder. Then you can edit the metadata for each one stating where it should appear in the regular seasons. There are options for before season, after season and after episode that allow you a lot of control.

tp546

I put all my specials in the specials folder. Then you can edit the metadata for each one stating where it should appear in the regular seasons. There are options for before season, after season and after episode that allow you a lot of control.

that's where mine are - see the screenshot. can you be more specific about where i can find the options you are talking about?

BATTLE DONKEY

If u click the show itself and edit, there should be an option to show specials mixed in with the seasons. You can turn it off and on per show.

In your case it sounds like you want it off, so that to see the specials you have to actually enter the specials folder.

Click the tv show itself (lost), edit, untick "show specials mixed in seasons"

tp546

If u click the show itself and edit, there should be an option to show specials mixed in with the seasons. You can turn it off and on per show.

In your case it sounds like you want it off, so that to see the specials you have to actually enter the specials folder.

Click the tv show itself (lost), edit, untick "show specials mixed in seasons"

thanks - i thought that would work but it didn't. i tried doing that and then refreshing the entire LOST folder but no luck. any other ideas?

BATTLE DONKEY

Stumped on that one, it works for me, but I have my specials mixed into the episodes. Im not at home to test, maybe something isn't working and someone can confirm

jordy

For TV series that have specials, I put them all into a "Season 00" folder - (no sub folders required here). Episodes are labelled as:

<showname> - s00e01 - <episodename>.ext

<showname> - s00e02 - <episodename>.ext

etc

Check out the Wiki here, scroll down to "Specials"

When you have got it set up correctly:

Go to the metadata manager, find the TV show in the left hand window, click the arrow by the showname and again by the "Specials" folder, select a special episode, scroll down the list of metadata settings in the right hand window  and you will see some "airs before" and "airs after" fields. Set them as necessary and save.

Repeat for all special episodes...

MB should then show and play them in the correct place. :)

good luck

jordy

Edited by jordy

tp546

For TV series that have specials, I put them all into a "Season 00" folder - (no sub folders required here). Episodes are labelled as:

<showname> - s00e01 - <episodename>.ext

<showname> - s00e02 - <episodename>.ext

etc

Check out the Wiki here, scroll down to "Specials"

When you have got it set up correctly:

Go to the metadata manager, find the TV show in the left hand window, click the arrow by the showname and again by the "Specials" folder, select a special episode, scroll down the list of metadata settings in the right hand window  and you will see some "airs before" and "airs after" fields. Set them as necessary and save.

Repeat for all special episodes...

MB should then show and play them in the correct place. :)

good luck

jordy

Thanks Jordy but the problem with this is that it isn't your typical specials - there are specials for each season so i have them all in subfolders inside the specials folder - is there a way to get it to show up as though it is a series embedded inside the main one?

jordy

It should still work. The Airs before/after settings allow you to set the season in which they should play as well as the before/after episode position. I have shows (Deadliest Catch) with specials that relate to different seasons and doing it as I described works fine. Have you given it a try?

Koleckai Silvestri

that's where mine are - see the screenshot. can you be more specific about where i can find the options you are talking about?

I don't have season 1, season 2, etc folders within Specials. Everything is Season 0 and named per the episode guide on thetvdb.com. 

tp546

It should still work. The Airs before/after settings allow you to set the season in which they should play as well as the before/after episode position. I have shows (Deadliest Catch) with specials that relate to different seasons and doing it as I described works fine. Have you given it a try?

I can't seem to find those settings - are they on the episode level in the metadata settings? Here is what I see:

Screenshot%202015-03-18%2020.24.38.png

jordy

I think it is because you are using s01e01 etc as the special episode numbers. If you rename it to s00e01 metadata manager will recognize it as a special and show the airs before/after fields.

tp546

I think it is because you are using s01e01 etc as the special episode numbers. If you rename it to s00e01 metadata manager will recognize it as a special and show the airs before/after fields.

that's essentially the root of the problem - if i do that, i won't be able to maintain the same season/folder structure inside the specials and they will all be dumped into one folder - right?

@@Redshirt or @@Luke - any ideas?

jordy

That's true. But that's the way its meant to work. Is there a "special" reason you need them in season folders other than to see/play them in the right place? As a test, copy them all to another drive as they are, then create a Season00 folder and set a few specials up as described and see if you get what you need. If not, you can always put your original folders back in place. Worth a try...

tp546

That's true. But that's the way its meant to work. Is there a "special" reason you need them in season folders other than to see/play them in the right place? As a test, copy them all to another drive as they are, then create a Season00 folder and set a few specials up as described and see if you get what you need. If not, you can always put your original folders back in place. Worth a try...

well yeah, the reason is that each season has specials that go with it so i want to keep that alignment in tact. i think a better alternative than what you're suggesting might be for me to just make it a standalone show on its own, but thats not an ideal solution either. i dont think it should be that difficult to accomplish what im trying to do - i had it working that way for years.

Happy2Play

I believe the only way to get "airs before" and "airs after" fields is for the Season field to reflect 0 so these specials don't collide with the actual episodes.

The other issue will be some of these extras/specials don't exist on TVDB or any other database.

Edited by Happy2Play

well yeah, the reason is that each season has specials that go with it so i want to keep that alignment in tact. i think a better alternative than what you're suggesting might be for me to just make it a standalone show on its own, but thats not an ideal solution either. i dont think it should be that difficult to accomplish what im trying to do - i had it working that way for years.

I think if you follow their advice, flatten your structure and make them all in a season 0 and then fill in the proper airs before/after information, you will get exactly what you want - inside the Emby interfaces anyway.

tp546

I think if you follow their advice, flatten your structure and make them all in a season 0 and then fill in the proper airs before/after information, you will get exactly what you want - inside the Emby interfaces anyway.

okay so i went ahead and did this but i don't see any difference in how they are displayed with the airs before/after information - i added a value for airs after and put the season for each one, but they are all still displayed in the specials folder as episodes 1-47 in season 0 in both MBC and the web client. i feel like i am missing something here - how should this work? should they now be appearing as the last episodes inside each of those seasons? i have no way of knowing now which season each special belongs with when browsing unless i as missing something - let me know. thanks guys.

Koleckai Silvestri

They should be in season 0. The difference is they are would also appear in each season where they should be if you set those values. The only series I can relate to this with is Doctor Who but each special appears where it should be.

jordy

HI,

If you have set them up correctly in metadata manager, looking at the season episode listings in the web ui and clients you should see something like this: Note the middle episode name at the bottom...

550fb0696bfb5_Specials.png

tp546

HI,

If you have set them up correctly in metadata manager, looking at the season episode listings in the web ui and clients you should see something like this: Note the middle episode name at the bottom...

550fb0696bfb5_Specials.png

okay thanks - so i need to set the episode to air after as well as season? is there a way to just have them all at the end of the season? that's what i was hoping to do by just filling in the airs after season setting.