Problem with Xbox 360 extender(s)

jcain

I'm having quite an issue with re-implementing my extenders with mb3/server that I just didn't have with mb2. Some movies will push to the extender just dandy, others will crawl and stop at 3 seconds. Now, even with Transcode 360 on or off, the problem is the same.

Movie example that DOESN'T play ok:
Monsters University.
Video:h264 • eng • 1920x1080 • 16:9 • 28107 kbps • 23.97602
Audio:truehd • eng • 28107 kbps • 8 ch • 48000 khz • Default

Movie example that DOES play ok:
The Croods
Video:h264 • eng • 1920x1080 • 16:9 • 28793 kbps • 23.97602
Audio:DTS-HD MA • eng • 1536 kbps • 6 ch • 48000 khz • Default

Only Difference I can see is that audio in these examples, yet when asking MB3 to transcode, the problem still persists. The WAF is suffering to the point of "throw it all away, I just want a dvd player and a tv". (yeah right guuuuuuuuuurl)

I really don't want to have to deploy mezzimo again because it's just a buggy SOB in it's own right, but it always handled my extenders just fine.

PS: I do have LAV filters on and active, even when turned off, same issues.

ginjaninja

A fuller comparison of the  movies that work and dont work, to troubleshoot the issue would be

(Container mp4/mkv, h264 encoding profile, chapters?, subtitles)

when using divx and ac3filter for playback, choppy playback a few seconds in was either subtitles present or too high an encoding profile for xbox.

LAV might be similar.

Playback not starting was a codec installation issue but this doesnt seem to be the case here. 

with the correct profile, and no subtitles, transcdoing isnt necessary on xbox.

OldGrumpyGit

Hi there jcain - 

What container are you using for playback, mkv? Is it possible to provide a readout from mediainfo for both if so - This will give a slightly better picture as to the differences. I'm suspecting a combination of bitrate and the number of reference frames between the movies, from experience these two elements can contribute to choppy playback?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm  not clear on how to provide more detailed info of the files in question.

LQHNYBR , reencoding 30 and 40gb blurays, hundreds of them, is not my idea of fun. i'd rather force transcode each one on delivery. sounds like i need to set up mezzmo again

All movies are ripped with MakeMKV 1:1. I always grab the English and forced English subtitles and only the lossless audio track. does that help?

Edited by jcain

LqHnyBear

What is your extender? An Xbox? If so Subtitles don't work on the Xbox and it will cause the file to play improperly. You need to remove the subs.

ginjaninja

There is a helper script in tools to remove subtitles from mkvs. so not neccessary to rerip from disk. I wonder if there is an mkv equivalent that will hardcode forced subtitles into video stream for xbox users

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

LqHnyBear

what about movies that have subtitles like die hard movies and other action movies with foreign talking for a few lines

I hardcode subs into movies like those using HandBrake. Honestly there is no reason to have a BluRay rip of 30+ gig. All my movies are 2-6gig 1080p with 6 chan audio and no loss of video quality, even on fast paced action. I'd start going for smaller movies that you can re-encode easier. Do them before you go to bed and viola they're done when you wake up.

LqHnyBear

There is a helper script in tools to remove subtitles from mkvs. so not neccessary to rerip from disk. I wonder if there is an mkv equivalent that will hardcode forced subtitles into video stream for xbox users Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Only way to hardcode subs into a video file is to re-encode it. I use a program called "Convert Srt To Ssa" to change the srt to ssa then use handbrake to redo the movie with subs hardcoded.

I hardcode subs into movies like those using HandBrake. Honestly there is no reason to have a BluRay rip of 30+ gig. All my movies are 2-6gig 1080p with 6 chan audio and no loss of video quality, even on fast paced action. I'd start going for smaller movies that you can re-encode easier. Do them before you go to bed and viola they're done when you wake up.

Not sure what your set up is, but I can clearly see the difference in video from 1:1 and encoded.

LqHnyBear

Not sure what your set up is, but I can clearly see the difference in video from 1:1 and encoded.

You might be using the wrong settings. Try the settings I posted in the other post with an "Avg Bitrate" of 3500 and see what you get. I'm running on a Samsung 60in UN60ES8000FXZA TV. The difference between a lossless file and compressed file are so miniscule you can't really notice, when the file is encoded properly.

It seems like your using your xbox as your main delivery device. my HTPC is my main video source for my theater, and xbox 360s are for other rooms. i have no interest in using the xbox in the real theater.

LqHnyBear

It seems like your using your xbox as your main delivery device. my HTPC is my main video source for my theater, and xbox 360s are for other rooms. i have no interest in using the xbox in the real theater.

True I use the Xbox in my main theater. However most degradation in video quality can be contributed to the codec pak and settings you may be using. I strongly recommend using Sharks codecs with recommended settings. Unless you specifically need it, I'd turn of transcoding all together as it can cause significant quality loss.

• 2 months later...
harthenry

True I use the Xbox in my main theater. However most degradation in video quality can be contributed to the codec pak and settings you may be using. I strongly recommend using Sharks codecs with recommended settings. Unless you specifically need it, I'd turn of transcoding all together as it can cause significant quality loss.

?? huh?? turn off transcoding.  Doesn't Xbox need transcoding in order to play non Xbox qualified material?  Anyway, this is just life with Xbox.  All of my MakeMKV rips of Blurays look horrible on Xbox.  Therefore, I purchased an $80 Roku and the movies are perfect. 

LqHnyBear

Transcoding isn't needed for a majority of video file types like mp4, mov, avi, mpg, mkv, and several others I can't think of right now. As long as you keep you library to those transcoding is pointless. I prefer mkv myself. On the xbox you need to make sure you also download the media center update or whatever it's called. Sorry I'm not by my xbox now so I can't look to tell you what it is.