Multi-disk movie naming convention

lang-server

lang-server

I have a movie "ben-hur" which spans two blu-ray disks. 

If I use the stack option:  \movies\ben-hur (1959)\Ben-hur (1959)-part1.mkv

\movies\ben-hur (1959)\Ben-hur (1959)-part2.mkv

Everything looks fine with the web browser and MBT.  However MBC shows it has two different movies with the same name "ben-hur".

If I instead add a unique sub-folder per part, then MBC is good, but web browser shows two movies

Am I missing something on how multi-part naming conventions work ?

Thanks                                                          

that convention looks fine. can you show us with a screenshot what you're seeing in MBC?

lang-server

Oops, wrong information... I have been testing this numerous ways and mixed up the results.  

As stated above, with using the stack feature, web browser looks good.  MBC and MBT ONLY shows (1) movie. When I select the movie, there is no option for the second part?

post-19048-0-74674700-1426456203_thumb.jpg

post-19048-0-22967900-1426456204_thumb.jpg

Edited by lang-server

FrostByte

I also bought and ripped Ben-Hur from BD recently and noticed your pics show the total time for both parts.  Have you tried playing it to see if it maybe plays both though only shows it as one?

The app I use doesn't support multi disk movies yet so I ended up using mkvmerge and appended both into one mkv.  Worked very well and you can select chapters from the whole movie which I don't believe you could in the webclient

lang-server

The total time comes from the metadata, not the actually disk(s), in fact there is only one (1) metadata entry.. And no, it doesn't play both parts as one. I have used mkvmerge, but wanted to see if the new mediabrowser with stacking would work.

FrostByte

My apologies.  In the webclient and Samsung app it showed two different times for the parts and not a combined time so thought it may be the same for all apps and was maybe combining the actual movie in the background

54eba45375cbc_Untitled.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

Deathsquirrel

Use mkvtoolnix to merge the two parts together, the results are better.  That said, it should work but you should only see one movie and tje parts should simply play back to back.  You shouldn't have to choose a movie part unless something has been changed recently.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Deathsquirrel

Understand that.. I wanted to know if mediabrowser had the option with MBC to show "parts"

Not that I know of.  It has always just combined the parts of multipart files together into one entry.

CashMoney

Shouldn't both parts be in the same folder?

So instead of: -

\movies

\ben-hur (1959)

\Ben-hur (1959)-part1.mkv

\movies

\ben-hur (1959)

\Ben-hur (1959)-part2.mkv

use:-

\movies

\ben-hur (1959)

\Ben-hur (1959)-part1.mkv

\Ben-hur (1959)-part2.mkv

It sounds to me like it is working as designed.  When you have a two-part movie using video files (not disc rips) then MBC combines those into a single entity.  If you were to go into the chapters, you would see chapter entries for both parts together.

It should work exactly like it would if it were only one file.

lang-server

Based on EBR statement, MBC should combine the two parts into a single entry... It's not doing that, it only shows the first part.

What do you mean by "it only shows the first part"?  Do you mean in the interface or that it only plays back the first part.  If the former, that is how it is supposed to be.  If the latter, then I need to see a log.  Thx.

lang-server

It only plays the first part, and only shows chapters for the first part. Would it make a difference that I using an external player ? 

lang-server

Never mind...  The multiple part structure is "playing" perfectly in MBC.. I had too many different tests running and failed to notice when it actually worked.

Final: 

Use the stack option:  \movies\ben-hur (1959)\Ben-hur (1959)-part1.mkv

\movies\ben-hur (1959)\Ben-hur (1959)-part2.mkv

MBC will only show the first parts chapters, on the detail screen. However during playback, when it reaches the end of part 1, it will indeed automatically start playing the second part. This is using an external player MPC-HC.

This at least for me, eliminates the need to use MKVmerge.

It should show chapters for both parts (assuming they exist) although I don't think the chapter image grabber works for additional parts so it will just have generic images for the second part's chapters.

lang-server

Nope, both MBC and using the web interface "appmediabrowser.tv" only show 38 chapters, which is the correct amount for the first disk. It could be a ripping issue, where does media browser pickup the chapter count ? 

lang-server

hmmm.. Wouldn't this depend on the second disk being "chaptered labelled" has a continuation of the first disk.  If the first disk is chapter 1-38, and the next disk has 10 chapters then it should start with 39, However when I rip the disk, the chapters on the second disk start with 1 and end with 10, not 39-49..

for what it's worth, the web client currently doesn't display the chapters of the second video. maybe mbc does. they just pose a little more work for us so it takes longer for them to achieve full feature parity

lang-server

Actually for me, it's kind of a mute point.  I tend to watch a whole movie. I may forward space a chapter, but I don't "select" to start playing at a certain chapter. As long as MBC is playing the parts successfully, which is does, I'm a happy camper. As a feature request, it probably would be the last thing I would care about.

MBC does combine the chapters and display them all but the server does re-start the numbering and does not fetch images.  MBC still shows them in the proper order and they are functional though.