MyMovies/WMC to MediaBrowser(/Kodi) - Step Backwards

wadeal

wadeal

Tried to make the change from MyMovies and WMC to (first) MediaBrowser and Kodi then just MediaBrowser.

MediaBrowser installed fine on server and picked up media fine. Happy with that, scanning pretty quick all good there. I don't like the account BS and wish there was an option to just say "no I don't have any reason to have accounts or BS just work without it".

I then attempt to install Kodi and the MediaBrowser addon. Kodi installs OK, but then immediately after installing the addon Kodi starts showing errors and script errors on startup and when attempting to use the MediaBrowser addon including "kodi errno 11001 getaddrinfo failed".

Alright, fuck it, Kodi or XMBC is the most childish named and stupid looking and sounding piece of software I've ever seen so didn't expect more. Just had idea of using Kodi as can do sharing of TV cards with 3rd party software through it which is the only improvement over my current system really. So I decide to try just the MediaBrowser player.

I download the MediaBrowser Theatre application and again installs fine, connects fine. But on playback I find it is encoding on the server and streaming everything. I can't find any way to disable this apart from an external player which just looks retarded and I really CBF mucking around with command line BS to make MPC play in full screen or whatever. Also the playback bar doesn't change (as I found in the web playback as well) and in the first thing I try play there is no audio. When I do click on the playback bar which doesnt move it does change where I am, not in anyway accurate to where I clicked, and it then plays back in faster or slower speed and just generally fucks up.

Also had to remove the external player after adding, no way to, had to google and the answer is to edit config files. over a year ago and not corrected something so simple. Same as the playback bar BS on streamed/encoded content, post from some admin or whatever on these forums confirming this doesn't work... But it should! So why not fix it? Works in Plex fine...?

Looks like a good product but think amateur hour a fair bit. Hopefully some good feedback from a new user who won't be continuing if the first 10 minutes is this much of a headache.

Macburp

Media Browser Theatre is due a major overhaul which is coming soon. for now, I don't think its the best client to start with.

Did you use an MB3 skin with your Kodi install? Try posting on the kodi forum here.

As you're running windows, suggest you install WMC (if you don't already have it) and Mediabrowser Classic. This is IMHO the most rock solid of the MB clients, and should run out of the box.

Most users had teething troubles getting started with MB3, so you should really give it a bit longer than 10 minutes before giving up.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Sad that you have such a poor attitude, people here are using very willing to spend their own time helping others with issues, but not if you're planning on carrying on the way you are. Most, if not all,of your issues should be very easily fixable, and most likely stem from not reading any of the guides. MBT is probably streaming because you haven't given it access to the files. Even though MBT is in the middle of an overhaul, the current version works just fine. I've been using it for over a year.

• Like 5

KarterJK

LOL... I can share some of your sympathies,  I was totally confused with MediaBrowser when I first started.  As a matter of fact, I blew it off for 8 months and came back for a 2nd look.

None, of it made any sense to me, but the staff and feedback here is very good IMO, and slowly I learned what was new and old and what worked for me.  Still in training mode :)

While it may still may be a little rough around some of the edges.  I have found it to be a great product, better than any other I have tried.  But I use, almost exclusively, the Web Client app, and my Android phone app.  But the Windows 8.1 app is great also.  I don't use Mediabrowser Theater or Classic, and I gave up on the external players option.  My only purpose for using any of those was for .vob files, though it worked, it has it's own complications. But it could just be my lack of knowledge in setup.  So I ended up converting my vob to mkv files.  Now I use it over my Windows Media Center, just easier to use.

I can actually watch LiveTV on my phone or tablet with MediaBrowser. Love it.

Some products are not for all people, I tried Plex and was totally frustrated with it, so I hope MediaBrowser may work for you in the end.

Edited by KarterJK

wadeal

OK so had to resetup my media centre PC anyway so tried using WMC and the Media Browser Classic application.

Blank new PC, installed Codecs, confirmed could access and play back media on the server fine. Installed Media Browser Classic and then when I launch either from it's shortcut or from the menu item in WMC it just stays blank/blue WMC background forever.

Is this a joke? Am I missing something? I checked there's a "configuration tool" or whatever which just lists settings for external players and such, nothing RE where the server is to connect to or whatever - which I'm guessing is what I'm missing.

The real issue here is I'm an IT person, I'm a Sys Engineer with my MCSE, CCA, etc. and this is confusing and non sensible in anyway to me... How do you think this comes across to less technical people?

Edit - http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/10132-new-installation-blank-screen-on-start-up/

Apparently already solved for everyone... Oh wait... Please excuse any rudeness but couple of posts above the answer is "Oh yeah just use Classic its ROCK SOLID". Then this happens when I try it... Very frustrating.

And I really can't get over the "admin"'s response. Almost like a little kid saying "Oh whoops"... Who knows how many people have been trying the product with a bug like that pushing them away, luckily at least one of them posted but how many more just said "fuck it" when hit with ridiculous childish BS like the application just not working at all?

And last edit - To confirm the Beta version makes no difference. I'm not a local administrator (installed as administrator obviously) if that makes any difference - if it does in 2015 you're doing something very very wrong with the way you software places files.

Edited by wadeal

wadeal

Can't even uninstall this shit from my server. First time uninstalling froze and locked up for minutes with no activity until I had to force stop. Now uninstall just crashes everytime.

5506b5bcb27fb_uninstall.png

Edited by wadeal

swhitmore

Are you actually looking for help, or just happy acting like a spoilt brat?

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 3

BATTLE DONKEY

I am what you call less technical (and there are many others here on the forums) and I found the server/ MBClassic/ Kodi + MB3 plugin on jailbroken ipad /android client and MBTheatre as easy as it gets to installing and configuring properly.

Any questions I have had after the fact have been answered promptly and I was helped with any issues I had.

With your credentials I would expect you could diagnose any issues and fix them, but you found it easier to come here and type out a long post ranting and about how its BS because you can't get it working. It would have been much simpler to just describe the issues one step at a time and ask for assistance, so to me you come off as a troll.

If you have read this so far, feel free to ignore it completely or start over with a little less attitude this time and I'm sure one of the developers, or maybe even us "less technical" people may be able to help u out

Edited by BATTLE DONKEY
  • Like 3

Cheesegeezer

Please post logs. We can help once we know what the issue is.

Find the post on "how to report a problem"

Thanks

Cheesegeezer

However i feel you have some conflicting software, your firewall isnt set up to allow MBS/MBC thru, you havent used UNC paths

I've never experienced anything like you are on different OS, win7 win8 and win8.1.

We would like to help, however an attitude adjustment might get you further along.

• Like 1

wadeal

My point of posting was that this shouldn't be possible for these things to happen - If someone with technical know how is coming here saying "this is too convoluted - look how much problems I'm having just getting going" you can't go pointing the finger at them, the problem isn't on the users end, obviously the issue is with the software if things like this happen with a brand new install and are going to cost your project users and thus contributors.

This has all been on brand new Server 2012 R2 server and Windows 7 clients. Firewall on server has exceptions (added by installer - one plus). Media is added by UNC on server and can access from client. At first I was after help, but then when was clear this is a waste of my time trying vs MyMovies I figured would at least try and provide some further feedback on the experience as a new user. Take that or ignore it and blame the user, I don't care.

Just FYI I have MyMovies installed within 30 mins on server and client, added media fine, WMC opens plays back absolutely fine. It's clear the alternatives aren't near the same level of understanding number one is having a product that just works - as an IT person I don't want to come home after looking through logs and dealing with computer BS to then have to do that at home. I want my computer stuff at home to just work and that's what 99% of people out there will expect.

Cheesegeezer

My point of posting was that this shouldn't be possible for these things to happen - If someone with technical know how is coming here saying "this is too convoluted - look how much problems I'm having just getting going" you can't go pointing the finger at them, the problem isn't on the users end, obviously the issue is with the software if things like this happen with a brand new install and are going to cost your project users and thus contributors.

This has all been on brand new Server 2012 R2 server and Windows 7 clients. Firewall on server has exceptions (added by installer - one plus). Media is added by UNC on server and can access from client. At first I was after help, but then when was clear this is a waste of my time trying vs MyMovies I figured would at least try and provide some further feedback on the experience as a new user. Take that or ignore it and blame the user, I don't care.

Just FYI I have MyMovies installed within 30 mins on server and client, added media fine, WMC opens plays back absolutely fine. It's clear the alternatives aren't near the same level of understanding number one is having a product that just works - as an IT person I don't want to come home after looking through logs and dealing with computer BS to then have to do that at home. I want my computer stuff at home to just work and that's what 99% of people out there will expect.

Let me help you out, as an it person, you claim, do you not require logs and catches to fix issues....

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/793-how-to-report-a-problem/

• Like 1

The issue you referred to above was solved six months ago and would not have affected you.  So, whatever it was, is something different and very unusual as most people are up in running in less than 30 minutes ;).

If you would like to help solve whatever it was we will need some more information.  If not, I understand and wish you the best of luck with your system.

• Like 3

Cheesegeezer

most people are up in running in less than 30 minutes ;).

I would say 10mins, generally thats all it takes me to setup a new server. Then any client can feed from that server.

• Like 1

Good day,

I really do not like to get in these type of threads, but ... 

You kept saying your are a technical personal, well IT personal normally know, any software to test, that when thing do not go as planned by the software, simple post about the problem then providing a log to the dev's team personal, from the help place to post them, as it here, again, IT personals will know what section on the help forums is need it to be post, so he/she get the best answer/solutions for his/her issue.

I am not putting you down here, but wanted to point some issue.

My best

• Like 3

pt1xoom

I am a BIG fan of MB3 + Kodi/andriod/samsung smart TV/web client.  I'm also in IT as the only "IT guy" in the little company I work for.  I have nothing but good things to say about the install and set up.  I also receive quick responses to my questions or problems.

Good day,

I forgot to add, that MBC client, you can setup the look up in the mb server from the MBC setting, it default to auto-discover for the server, so go a head and provide the mb server ip (if it on your local lan), here a thread can help you on this:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/733-mb-classic-setup-and-configuration/

But most of all, a good feedback by providing a log, here mb server log as well MBC log and post them here, so the dev's team can see what the problem and direct you on how to fix the issue.

My best

• Like 1

AgileHumor

I'm a MCSE+I (if you remember that) with 50+ Microsoft exams taken (and Master CNE, Master ASE, CCNP too) .  I also write a few Microsoft exams as well for Microsoft as a SME.

I had no issues setting it up (and did have MB2 in the past).   I believe the issue as others have stated is your not taking the time to read the documentation (assuming you could figure it out) and making lots of assumptions.  Very common problem when IT folk here (including myself).  

Since your asking basic 101 type questions, I'd suggest your review the WIKI here before escalating it to the development team on this forum. 

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/

If you do have an error (vs a how to), please do take not of the bug reporting process:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/ 

Cheers!

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 2