Last Windows Update borked Mediabrowser and my extender

Macburp

Macburp

So, last Patch Tuesday (10/3) there were 17 updates waiting for me to install (I have automatic install turned off) on my Win7 32-bit system. Keen to do these, as there are fixes for the FREAK and STUXNET threats.

Impact of the install was

- speed of my system slowed to a complete crawl, with CPU maxed to 100$ frequently

- Windows gadgets disabled; I was completely unaware that M$ have considered these a security risk since 2012

- My extender install was completely gone, forcing a re-install

- MBC would not load; from the extender I would wait a long time, then to be presented with an offer to connect using MB Connect. In other words, server not found. Loading MBC at the home PC also didn't work; after a long wait WMC told me 'Mediabrowser is not found'

The web client worked, but very slowly.

The android client would not work on my phone. Tried turning off windows firewall, and Android was working again.

Rolled back the updates and things are all working as they were at the PC (not checked the extender yet).

A bit of googling reveals that one of the updates was a re-vamped version of the update from last November that borked many WMC installations - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/13/microsoft_reborks_latest_windows_7_patch/

Before rolling back, I tried uninstalling the offending update - no effect, MB3 did not return. So now I suppose I need to test each patch individually, what a PITA.

Anyone else have similar experiences to offer? Advice on how to deal?