Server Installation

drashna

drashna

Is there way to change the install location to be outside of the AppData folder?

There are two reasons I ask:

• I use the "Cryptolocker prevention kit" stuff which prevents stuff from running out of the AppData folders. This means I have to add exceptions to run it (and I don't like doing this).
  • Also, I would like to be able to pre-install MediaBrowser on computers, and because it uses the AppData folder, it makes this impossible.

Not currently.  We will probably be building a portable install before too long but the default will stay in the current location to guarantee our updates will work.

drashna

Well, I absolutely understand wanting to ensure that updates work.

Though, a portable install would most likely work well, too.

we like the idea of a portable install. getting the build process for it, the release process, the update process, etc, all of that stuff figured out and finalized is just something we have not done yet.

CashMoney

You could use a junction/mklink to create a hard shortcut. Personally I use Link Shell Extension to create my links*. So you would install the server, then install Link Shell Extension. Copy the server to where you want it and delete the original folder. Then right click on the server's install folder and select "Pick Link Source". Then go back to the servers original installation location and "Pick Link Destination"; you'll then have a "shortcut" from your new location to the old that the system will see as the original. The caveat to this is that MB3 server installs to one location but it does have other locations for metadata and cache, although you should be able to move them as well, either in the same manner or by using the options within the server dashboard.

HTH

*I've not moved my server installation, but I have moved it's cache folder to a second drive, as well as various non-MB3 related programs/Steam Games/etc using Link Shell Extension.

Edited by CashMoney

drashna

@CashMoney:

That would work for most people. However, I want to do this for pre-installation images. So I won't know the user folder.

ANd I want to make sure that everything that is needed is installed beforehand.