Best setup for codecs.

Heckler

Heckler

Built a new PC for gaming and want to get it right first time.

In the past I have always used the shark codec pack for 32/64bit... But I was always resolving one issue and another would pop up... I want to use this system as a test bed before making the changes to my mediaserver (which still runs the shark codecs).

So what do you recommend... easiest to install, most streamlined with least amount of tweaking needed... and perhaps a working way to turn subs on and off using the standard MC Remote.

Cheers in advance for all the advice you're about to give.  :)

Cerothen

I have always liked k-lite codec pack. It's pretty much plug and play. I typically do the lots o stuff no players option

jhoff80

I never found a decent way to control WMC subtitles with a WMC remote.

I install the Shark Codec Pack as well, mostly because it simplifies Xbox 360 / WMC extender configuration.  If it wasn't for that though, I'd just use LAVfilters and xy-VSfilter (which I believe is also what MBT installs as well).

Koleckai Silvestri

I just use whatever Theater installs and the web client. Haven't had any issues related to codecs. That is good for me since I don't have a lot of time to mess with codecs all the time on six different. The "It Just Works" philosophy is one I strive for with computers these days.

Cheesegeezer

What OS are you running.  If running Win7 i would suggest following my guides for FFDShow.  I think we chatted about this a while ago with regards to MediaControl.  Windows 8 64, i've had some issues registering the mp4 and matroska splitters.

It works really well for me.

First read this

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4305-mbc-and-codecs-understanding-the-media-foundation/

then follow this.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1096-setting-up-codecs-using-ffdshow/

• Like 3

Heckler

@Cheesegeezer  I remember talking to some one about codecs quite a while ago... Couldn't remember who. Glad you have a better memory than I.

At the time I didn't want to start experimenting, but I figure that as this is a new gaming rig, I might as well check out the setup on here before thinking about applying it to the media server.  Both are running Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Aside from a small niggle with non functioning sound, the new computer is pretty sweet so far. Couldn't afford another SSD for this rig, so I did a RAID0 on a couple of 500GB drives, and added another 500GB for a backup drive. Retaining the 1TB games drive.

But I've lost a load of software that I thought I'd backed up copies of... No longer have any office software and I have loads of docs and xls files that require attention... Might look into some opensource word/excell programs.

Heckler

Did some one say LAV?   :P

Thanks for all the suggestions... Not had a chance to even install the client yet. You know how a new build is... I spent the first 7hrs after the fresh windows install working on a sound issue.... I had none.  Turns out my friend had never even used the onboard sound in his build, he used a creative USB one that he says gives excellent quality sound.  So he had no idea that the rear sockets don't actually work.

I tried everything, went through countless pages of suggestions after finding others with similar issues... Everything suggested that worked for others didn't for me. Windows shows that it's processing the sound, the graphic equaliser bars move in time with sound. But nothing was going through the sockets.

So I then dug my little portable LCD out and plugged in via HDMI, set the sound to the TV and hey presto it worked.  So the sound works, but the sockets don't.  At the moment I have sound going via HDMI to the tv and then out of the headphone socket into the amp... Only stereo at the moment, but at least I have sound.

I was going to just buy a cheap sound card as using the TV isn't a solution, it's just a using up space and wasting electricity as it's a 24" and not even LED.

I've been meaning to get a new amp for the lounge as mine is nearly 16yrs old... A Yamaha DSP A5, still going strong. after all this time. But alas it has no HDMI inputs, so I thought I might replace it with a budget Pioneer VSX 529K amp... Only £185 now as end of line. Then use the Yamaha in my office for the PC via optical.

So all that took me a very frustrating evening... then I had a couple of days where I did nothing but install updates. Then I had a frustrating time trying to get my memory to run at the correct speed.  It's Gskill 1.5v 1866mhz and I have 4x4GB but it refuses to run at 1866 without crashing. So It's back on 1600mhz for now.

Then On Sunday... I had a shock, 200 new updates... installed... 55 more... installed... yet more. Monday, even more updates.  It's like a never ending joke, each new set of updates unlocks yet more.

I've barely got any software installed... Only my steam games which are stored on another drive, so didn't have to download them.

But so far... going from a Phenom II X4 955BE on a 790 chipset to the 6 core FX6300 on the 880 chipset is proving very nice indeed... Heck, even just a stripped down install of windows (compared to how bloated it had become after several years) is fast.  I did a RAID0 setup on a couple of 500GB drives, and kept a 500GB in reserve for weekly backups and OS image. Then there's a 1TB drive just for games.

So maybe I'll get around to it this week at some point... Still got the car to get back on the road. Been without it for almost 3 weeks now.