Upgrading MBS when running as a service - best practice question

CalypsoCowboy

CalypsoCowboy

What are the correct steps for upgrading MBS when running as a service. The following is what I did last time.

1. Stop the MBS Service.

2. Start the MBS Desktop application.

3. Wait for the application to pick up the new version, restart the application if necessary.

4. End the MBS Desktop application.

5. Restart and enable the MBS Service. 

My questions are as follows:

Between 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 I've seen references to restarting the machine, is that needed to make sure things are cleanly shut down?

For steps 2-4, if your running as a service is is better to start the desktop app and let it update or just download the installation and rerun the installation or is there a difference?

I've seen some odd system behavior on my system, shutdowns, freezes, blue screens shortly after the last update, that I'm attributing to hardware problems but wasn't sure if it might be related to how I did the upgrade. This is my first upgrade running as a service. I haven't looked at my logs for any errors. 

-Josh

FrostByte

I wish there was an option to not restart the app after an update.  I usually just kill it and then restart the service because I don't like waiting for 2 initial scans

Vidman

You can just let the server download the update and when it is ready to install you will get a notification to restart the server.. Then just stop the service and restart it... Done.

FrostByte

You can just let the server download the update and when it is ready to install you will get a notification to restart the server.. Then just stop the service and restart it... Done.

I didn't think it would automatically download an update when running as a service?  Where is the option for that?

CalypsoCowboy

Correct, I am pretty sure it doesn't download updates when running as service. 

Vidman

Hmmm OK sorry it has been awhile since I ran it as a service on windows... But I'm pretty sure it used to download the update and notify you to restart the service to install the update

Edited by Vidman