Changing Media Library folders from absolute to UNC pathing (transcoding issue)

altramarine
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

altramarine

Good day!

Question:

Is there a way to preserve "new, watched" content state of my media If I switch my Media Library folders from absolute (ie. C:\media) to UNC pathing (ie \\server\media)

Reason:

Server is transcoding all of my media when i stream to my HTPC which is connected by 1GB eth cable and setting on the client (Kodi) is set to 1GB net speed. All of my media is .mkv files.

Setup:

Server:

physical server, dual xeon proc, 16GB ram, 1GB NIC, windows 7 x64

Client:

physical computer, quad core 2, 4GB ram, 1GB NIC, windows 7 x64, Kodi 14.1

Many thanks:)

Edited by altramarine

Spaceboy

Yeah, at least then even if it goes wrong that will be able to restore you to your current position. Someone else will chip in I'm sure but I think media items are independent if location, ie they can removed and added back to a different place and still retain playstate

• Like 1

altramarine

Yeah, at least then even if it goes wrong that will be able to restore you to your current position. Someone else will chip in I'm sure but I think media items are independent if location, ie they can removed and added back to a different place and still retain playstate

I just backed  up ... just in case:) thanks for that.

In the past, after i removed and re-added media library folder, all content was re-scanned and new, watched states were lost. So i am a bit skeptical now:)

Would the metadata need to be re downloaded for the folder's content all over again? because now that i am thinking about it, was the case last time.

Edited by altramarine

• Solution
Angelblue05

I strongly suggest for you to go the Path substitution way. This is in place to avoid the exact situation you are in right now. If you remove your original path and re-add the UNC path, this will remove and re-add your library.

UNC Shares and Path substitution are the same thing. You still have to share the folder (C:\Movies) like you would when following the UNC tutorial except instead of deleting your C:\Movies path in the dashboard > Library, you just do a path substitution From: C:\Movies to \\server\Movies. This is an example and will save you from having to fix your library back to the way it used to be.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

AdrianW

Watched status is not based on path - it's based on the TMDb and TVDb Id's - so even if you move your content around into a totally different file structure, the watched status will still be retained.

• Like 3

altramarine

I strongly suggest for you to go the Path substitution way. This is in place to avoid the exact situation you are in right now. If you remove your original path and re-add the UNC path, this will remove and re-add your library meaning you will lose your watch status, images or anything that's not backed up into each media folder.

UNC Shares and Path substitution are the same thing. You still have to share the folder (C:\Movies) like you would when following the UNC tutorial except instead of deleting your C:\Movies path in the dashboard > Library, you just do a path substitution From: C:\Movies to \\server\Movies. This is an example and will save you from having to fix your library back to the way it used to be.

Thanks!

After adding Path subs, would I need to change anything on the client? (Kodi in my case)

altramarine

Watched status is not based on path - it's based on the TMDb and TVDb Id's - so even if you move your content around into a totally different file structure, the watched status will still be retained.

Thank you,

That's great to know!

I think i really meant to say the "added to library" date. So if i were to remove a library folder and re-add it, "New content" would be messed up, which id like to avoid.

Angelblue05

Thanks!

After adding Path subs, would I need to change anything on the client? (Kodi in my case)

You should not need to do anything in Kodi. In the Mediabrowser add-on for Kodi, Video quality can be set to default value if it isn't, after you complete the path substitution. :) Let us know how it goes!

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Thank you,

That's great to know!

I think i really meant to say the "added to library" date. So if i were to remove a library folder and re-add it, "New content" would be messed up, which id like to avoid.

Change from "Use scan date" to "Use date created".  Metadata-Advanced

• Like 1

altramarine

You should not need to do anything in Kodi. In the Mediabrowser add-on for Kodi, Video quality can be set to default value if it isn't, after you complete the path substitution. :) Let us know how it goes!

Went over these instruction: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

Just to clarify, do i give full permissions to the server local admin account (that's the one i used to install MB server) or the account of the HTPC accessing the server?

Thank you!

Edited by altramarine

altramarine

Change from "Use scan date" to "Use date created".  Metadata-Advanced

Good point! Thanks for that!

Angelblue05

I believe the permissions should be the same one as the one you used to install MB server, but I could be wrong. That's how I have mine set up with Full control and set Everyone to allow "read". :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

altramarine

I believe the permissions should be the same one as the one you used to install MB server, but I could be wrong. That's how I have mine set up with Full control and set Everyone to allow "read". :)

Excellent, thank you! I am about to try it out.

Hopefully the last of the questions chain:) Since all of my files are mkvs (blue ray rips), would transcoding still kick in for the sound? Kodi is set to pass-through for all audio since my receiver can handle most codecs.

Angelblue05

I use mkvs mostly and everything is directly played in Kodi. You'll have to test and see, but you are on the right track for sure. :)

• Like 1