Subtitle frustration

two wire

two wire

1. I cannot get subtitles working on any of my devices (Android, Windows, and a newly purchased Roku device). Subtitles work when using VLC. So, now, I want to use that as an external player with MBT. However, I have no idea what enter in the field for Command Line Arguments..

2. I just purchased a new Roku 3 device and have the same issue. My subtitle files have the extension .srt and are located in the VIDEO_TS folders, along with the other video files. Is there a toggle somewhere that switches subtitles on/off?

I have all of my media files on an unRaid Linux server and really don't know much about Linux. The problem undoubtedly is on my end, and  I have spent hours googling and experminting. There got to be a better way to live a life. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by two wire

Pais

Can you start by verifying that Media Browser has identified that subtitles are associate with one your movies? It should look similar to this at the bottom of the web interface for one of your movies with subtitles.

54ff7db08bc41_Capture.png

two wire

Thanks, for the reply. I never knew this info page existed, and It took me a while to find it. Learned something new today. Anyway, there is no referencing to subtitles and, I guess,  this would explain my issue. I wonder why this is when it retrieves other info from the folder? FYI, I previously copied the name from the media folder and posted it into the name of the subtitle. So it has the same name.

Pais

Yeah, if the server doesn't think there are subtitles then that should explain your issue

I'm half guessing here since I don't have my media in VIDEO_TS format, but I think it should look like this based on the wiki:

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)

/VIDEO_TS

Home Alone.srt

So basically I would try moving the subtitles up one level and then scanning your library again to see if they show up in the media info section on the server web page.

The main issue here is that all streaming and transcoding of DVD and bluray folder rips is considered expiremental and that includes the delivery of subtitles. This means that for the web client, roku, etc. Its going to be hit or miss.

To get full support for these you need to use an htpc client like MBT or our kodi add-on

As far as storing SRT in folder rips I'm not sure that's implemented, will have to check. But there's a good chance its not because I don't recall anyone asking for it until now.

Good day,

I do not know regarding new mb server releases lately, but as I recall that srt file in rips dvd folder will not work.

My best

two wire

Thanks, for the replys.

I thought MB3 supported .srt's from DVD folders, but I guess I was mistaken. I think I will now move on to using VLC as an external player as it does recognize .srt's in my current arrangement. However, I don't know what to enter in the "Command line arguments" field. I had set this set up once before when I was using MB Classic, but that was along time ago and I don;t remember what I did.

I experimented with several attempts/guesses, and ended up with a number of custom players. None of them worked. In addition,I could not find a way to delete them until I read a forum post describing how to do this by making deletions in the config file. This might be something for the develoers to consider.

So, now, I am back to square one, trying to figure out what to enter to enter into the "Command line arguments" field. Help appreciated

Thanks

we can easily have the server recognize the sub files the question is what app will use them. because as i already mentioned, streaming of folder rips is expiremental, so if we add them then they would most likely only function in mbt and our kodi add-on.

two wire

It is my understanding that MBT will play videos through an external player. At this point, since I'm having issues using the internal player of MBT for the playback of external subtitles, (probably something not configured correctly) I want move on and play videos using VLC, which is a multimedia player  that plays most multimedia files. However, when I try to add this as an external player and select play for a particular video, I get what appears to be an attempt to acess the player .exe file, and then it reverts back to MBT.  As I said in an earlier post, I think my problem is not knowing what to do with the Command line Arguments.

This what I have for the path;  C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

This is what appears for the Command line Arguments:  {PATH} --fullscreen --video-on-top --no-one-instance --play-and-exit --disable-screensaver --qt-minimal-view --no-video-deco --no-playlist-tree --freetype-outline-thickness=6 --no-qt-updates-notif --global-key-quit="Media Stop" --global-key-play="Media Play" --global-key-pause="Media Pause" --global-key-play-pause="Media Play Pause" --global-key-vol-down="Volume Down" --global-key-vol-up="Volume Up" --global-key-vol-mute="Mute" --key-nav-up="Up" --key-nav-down="Down" --key-nav-left="Left" --key-nav-right="Right" --key-nav-activate="Enter" --global-key-jump-long="Media Prev Track" --global-key-jump+long="Media Next Track"

If someone can help me with this, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by two wire

two wire

Thanks for the responses. I was able to figure out to play subtitles using VLC. I hope the dev's include this ability to read  external subtitles using the internal players of MBT and Roku. This would make my lifetime subscription seem like icing on the cake.

The only issue I currently have relating to this, is the media player will not close after the stop button is hit, even though  I have that option checked in the external player configuration. But, I can live with that.

Thanks

We may eventually get that but realize that the whole world is moving away from disc-based formats so support for these types of things is likely to get harder and harder instead of easier.

two wire

You are righ,t and I'M aware of the trend. However, I have more than ten years invested in this, and at 74 yrs.,I have no desire to go byond what I already have. Not complaining, just worn out.

• Like 1