Which video player does the Android App use?

MSattler

MSattler

My curiosity is does the Android app use the internal video player or it's own?  The reason I asked is I came across a post which talks about how you can add additional codecs to MX Player.  See here:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-to-restore-full-audio-codec-support-AC3-DTS-in-MX-Player-Androids-best-video-playback-app_id64435

That being said, I will not use MX Player since using it means we lose the ability to resume playback since the MX Player will not report playback progress.

Is the ability there to add codecs to the internal player? 

thefirstofthe300

It uses the internal player and not MX Player (unless you have the client set to use an external player).

As far as I know, it is not possible to add codecs to the internal player as there isn't a way to tell the server that the device can now handle those codecs.

MSattler

It uses the internal player and not MX Player (unless you have the client set to use an external player).

As far as I know, it is not possible to add codecs to the internal player as there isn't a way to tell the server that the device can now handle those codecs.

Yeah that sucks.....  I believe the only reason the FireTV Stick is transcoding on some of this video is because of the audio.  Maybe for testing purposes I'll install MX Player with DTS, and use it as an external player, to see if it can play back without transcoding then.