Increase ChromeCast streaming bitrate

shudder

shudder

It seems that when streaming with CC, the max video bitrate is fixed to 10Mbps.

Is there a way for me to increase this limitation for testing purposes?

I already had a look at the code but wasn't quite sure where the limitation is set.

shudder

Are you sure? If that's the case, this seems to be specific to MB.

Plex has set a hard limit of 12Mbps but people have been able to cast 20+ Mbps with CC just fine.

Maybe it would be worth reconsidering this limitation again.

I meanwhile understood that one can not easily edit this limitation as it is set within the chromecast receiver app.

If somebody is interested in how a user tweaked Plex to overcome the 12Mbps limit, the following article is definitely worth reading:

https://www.andrewmunsell.com/blog/reducing-transcoding-on-chromecast-from-plex

12 is fine but I don't see much need to go beyond if the device doesn't support it. Who will answer user questions when people ask why it stutters at 20?

shudder

Who will answer user questions when people ask why it stutters at 20? 

That's one good point but could be avoided by making the CC bitrate option configurable.

Would it be an option to let the admin account set a certain bitrate limitation?

However, I can't estimate the effort it needs to implemt such change and I'm not capable of doing it on my own either.

You guys at MB are doing a great job and for sure you are busy enough with other things already.

The only thing that kept me pushing on this topic is that I felt that we currently do not use the full power that CC has to offer.

@@Luke

Thanks for increasing the limit from 10 to 12Mbps already! :)