Is there an IRC Chat Room for Media Browser?

GoodGuy98

The point of it would be..

Yeah, that's what I asked what was implied. This has multiple directions possible. There is no limit but your imagination. The point of some ideas are questionable, but can be realized and created. The audience on IRC decides. As they are the ones this would be catering to.

Beardyname

What exactly does that mean? I can easily have a bot post to the forum using a handle such as "FromIRC" and have it post within a selected topic what was said on IRC every hour. With of course a mechanism (perhaps !optout they type that once) for people to "opt out" of having their IRC conversation cross mediums. Filtering out the !triggers, replies, noise, and other "fluff" from IRC the bot offers. I'm not exact in what you mean.

The way I have it set up. You can do everything from the comfort of IRC. Google, Wikipedia, fml!, google instant, emby, as well as auto URL title/description grabbers, github commit updates, etc.. Whatever you want to link to IRC is possible. Whatever you want to link back to the forum is possible. If it isn't I can make it.

@

It would be trivial to sort the cross-traffic of irc/forum and not regurgitate redundant data.

I'm wondering if this is a good idea :P

Irc is by nature rather "spammy" where as a forum post is more a section of text, now if we want the forum to be spammy well then i don't have anything against it :)

I would rather we make a new topic with a soltuion if we solve something "new", but for routine stuff it's probably been talked about and is searchable on the forums.

Edited by Beardyname
  • Like 1

thefirstofthe300

What if we could tell the bot to post the last {insert number here} lines of dialog on the forums with the title: {insert title here}? This would probably need to be the duty of the op or we are just going to get spammers hammering the forums. Speechles said this anything was possible so I assume this wouldn't be a huge project.

thefirstofthe300

Also, I have noticed that there are really only a few of us in the chat rooms. Would it be possible to advertise on the forums a little more prominently? Maybe a pinned topic in general discussion? 

Edited by DaBungalow

Also, I have noticed that there are really only a few of us in the chat rooms. Would it be possible to advertise on the forums a little more prominently? Maybe a pinned topic in general discussion? 

Go a head buddy, indicated info for both channels networks, as well for our chat here, and then pinned it in this forum.

CBers

Not sure I like the idea of an EMBY IRC.

IRC seems to me to be distant from the forums and not everyone will want to go there.

It also detracts from the good work done by the devs and others on these forums to help people.

We already have the dev forums so that devs and testers can speak openly about things without imposing on the rest of the forum members.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Beardyname

IRC seems to me to be distant from the forums and not everyone will want to go there.

It also detracts from the good work done by the devs and others on these forums to help people.

We already have the dev forums so that devs and testers can speak openly about things without imposing on the rest of the forum members.

Just my thoughts.

Agreed, IRC is not meant to take focus away from the forums, but rather make sure there is an interaction that suits everyone.

Except for this forum I'm not really a forum guy, on the other hand I'm in the channels of a bunch of other projects i "help" out with, for me IRC is far superior to a forum - Each to his own!

As i wrote previously It's made clear right in the topic it's un-offical and links are included for the forums :)

and lastly as a side-note freenode is know for it's open-source project channels, so it could be a great way of getting more developers.

To sum it up, the more places emby makes it's presence known the better!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
SikSlayer

I just this moment found #emby on freenode, I don't know why I never looked until now.

I'll be idling there all the time. :)

SikSlayer

Just my thoughts.

People like to communicate in more than one way. I don't think there being an IRC channel where folks like to congregate will be to any detriment/hindrance to Emby at all, in fact it'll be an asset IMO.

CBers

People like to communicate in more than one way. I don't think there being an IRC channel where folks like to congregate will be to any detriment/hindrance to Emby at all, in fact it'll be an asset IMO.

You realise the post you quoted was over a year old :)

• Like 1

IRC is how developers communicated. Before github, before all else. The fact it exists today and is treated as a novelty is a shame. People figure its a dead medium used by drug addicts, hackers, and pedophiles. When the reverse is true. The irc network (ircd) you join determines your experience.

There could also be an alt.binaries.emby usenet group created. In this group users could share files, text, whatever. If there is a need for an emby newsgroup I could format the charter, and send the control message to create the group on ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/control/alt/ . This would be trivial to do. Plus I love the kooks that camp-out in alt.config and post sarcastic diatribe. Their egos are so early 90s. They get joy from sending rmgroup after you issue a newgroup. They always are thinking servers respect rmgroup.. No respectable news server allows rmgroup anymore, not since the 90s. Booster messages too are cool to still see sent thru alt.config. Does anybody here use usenet? If so read this article: http://lowgenius.net/2014/03/29/way-kook/ it explains how fun usenet was.

The limit of your imagination shouldn't limit others imagination. There is value in having access to conversation no matter where it is, be it twitter, facebook, irc, usenet, or forums. The wider the audience the more users become aware that emby exists.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

All discussion is welcome here.

Sure. But awareness is what drives potential. Using several mediums to facilitate discussion raises awareness. Users that are aware spread this further by making others aware. So you have this cycle of ever furthering reach. You need every communication method at your disposal to have 100% awareness.

So sure, all dicussion is welcome here, but all users with discussion aren't here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yea i meant in regards to resurrecting an old topic. The more mediums the better.

• Like 1

SikSlayer

My apologies. I didn't notice that the discussion had died a year ago, I had only just found the IRC channel minutes before.

So when I saw the comment from CBers taking a negative view towards the very idea, I had to say something, not noticing the year, only the month of the post.

In any case, I'll be both there and here still. There's quite a few things I wanna see out of Emby, and this is the place to get my opinion heard.  :)

• Like 2