Configure buffering

Herrick

Herrick

Hi,

I have a Media Browser server with my ripped dvd movies (full quality in videot_ts format)

I also have a Media browser classic on another computer (LAN) and it works really well. I don't use the new player because I don't want content to be streamed but played from file share directly so that there is no transcoding involved...

This works perfectly well and image/sound quality is perfect.

I built an IPSEC VPN connection with a friend and wanted to duplicate the setting. So his computer is on the same domain, have access to the file share and use the classic player in it's media browser classic software.

Again, the goal is to have no transcoding and files should be read from the file share.

My friend's download speed is 10 MBPS and my upload speed is 30 MBPS (Been measured, it's really steady)<

The problem: When my friend starts a movie, the first 1-2 minute is really sluggish. Sounds is chopping and image is lagging... After that, everything works well for the rest of the movie.

Question: Is the classic player "Windows media Player" ? If so, I tried to play with connection speed and add a longer buffer period, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Is there a way to force a longuer buffering so that we can get rid of this unpleasant effect ?

What is strange, is that if I play the same movie with VLC, everything works perfectly well. If I play it in media browser, it's sluggish...

Any Idea ?

Thanks in advance

I'd need to see a log but can you actually directly access the file system over your VPN?  It sounds like it is streaming as there is no such thing as buffering on direct played content.

BTW - the custom player interface has nothing to do with whether or not something is direct played by MBC.