Music library compatibility with DLNA

steve1977

steve1977

Now that we have identified what does not work, we just need a developer to look into a fix ;-) What additional info would be helpful for me to provide?

ginjaninja

woohoo..for first time ever.i refresh a test album and an old established album and the webclient registers that the albums have two album artists.

for my test album..i have albumartist1; albumartist2 in albumartist tag and these tags do not exists anywhere else in library..not even as artists on the test album..

the web client sbows both albumartists ..each as parent to test album..ie working well

..the dlna client sees albumartist1 and albumartist2 but they are not navigable in bubbleupnp at least..

roku client also working fine...

new to dlna debug logging  this may be the point at which a browse of albumartist1 was requested by bubbleupnp and nothing registered..

2015-03-14 06:47:41.5726 Debug - UpnpContentDirectory: Received control request Browse
2015-03-14 06:47:41.9606 Debug - UpnpContentDirectory: Control response
Headers: EXT=
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/" xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"><SOAP-ENV:Body><u:BrowseResponse xmlns:u="urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1"><Result><DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:dlna="urn:schemas-dlna-org:metadata-1-0/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"&gt
Edited by ginjaninja

steve1977

Now, we are the same behavior, isn't it? The separation of artists work, but UPNP does not display albums for the one with multiple artists. I tested with several different clients (bubbleupnp, Sony Bravia, Kodi, VLC for IOS) and all with the unfortunate same result. So, it feels like something to be fixed on MBS side?

ginjaninja

i have an album with 'Bob Dylan' and 'The Band' as album artists...after some refreshing both show as album artists of this album and i can browse both by dlna..so there is not a clear cut root cause as why my test album artists are unbrowseable in dlna..but these ones are fine...

steve1977

What album is it? I am happy to give it a try whether I can replicate them to work over DLAN. By "I can browse", you mean that you can selected "The Band" and it shows the album and then you can also play it from your DLNA device?

ginjaninja

Version 3.0.5554.1764

http://musicbrainz.org/release/5149ff66-043e-3efa-8965-9a4f6f75604f

i could browse and play under both...but strangley when i come to test it again...it seems there has been a change for dlna where only albums as album artist show under album artists (not completely relevant to this issue but a change none the less...webclient shows all albums under an album artist).

additional album artists in tags  (the 2nd / 3rd album artist(s)) no longer qualify as additional album artists for dlna...so this album only shows under bob dylan and not 'the band' as well......it did show under 'the band' but given the change mentioned ..who knows wether it was because 'the band' was an album artist or artist on this album...obviously some changes going on under the hood..

hopefully for the better so we start to get some differentiation between the two types of albums....not that it helps this issues investigation..

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

i do notice a possibly new? issue with the latest build...

all album artists in my collection without images (various reasons for that)...are NOT browseable.

some album artists with images ...are not browseable (same as above...and they typically are album artists yielded from albums not in \music\album artist\album format eg W:\Soundtracks\The GRand Budapest Hotel)

Some album artists with images..just launch the image and do not browse in bubble upnp client.. (cant see pattern)

Other (Most) album artists with images..browse normally...

I mention it because the lack of browsing of my test albums is the same symptom behaviour as the album artists yielded from albums not in strict \Music\AlbumArtist\Album containers and potentially the same root cause....

This would also match with any multiple album artist album....because it cant be in both Album Artists at the same time...\Music\AlbumArtist[1or2]\Album 

in any case...dlna music is very broken....hopefully music is undergoing an overhaul and this is the fallout?

EDIT

Version 3.0.5555.19219

Yup...i put my test album into \Music\AlbumArtist1\TestAlbum.....and magically albumartist1 and test album is browseable & playable......i thought the whole point of using tags was the render the file system moot for everything other than storage of metadata of artists..?

Edited by ginjaninja

steve1977

I tried with an MP3 album and the music library now appears to be broken? Neither artist nor albumartist are being displayed? Not only an UPNP issue, but even does not show within MBS?

@@Luke, shall we just remain patient during this time of change with the music libray or any form of error log we can provide to help trouble-shoot?

ginjaninja

Let me rescan things with the latest beta. Is the Dylan album above MP3 or some other format?

mp3..

I tried with an MP3 album and the music library now appears to be broken? Neither artist nor albumartist are being displayed? Not only an UPNP issue, but even does not show within MBS?

@@Luke, shall we just remain patient during this time of change with the music libray or any form of error log we can provide to help trouble-shoot?

perhaps you can lend your weight here as well....weve had no confirmation yet theres a known problem...

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/19379-music-scanning-has-been-very-temperamental-for-the-last-few-builds/

steve1977

Got it, I hope Luke can look into this soon. This is clearly a rather significant bug. Have added to your other thread, which nicely describes the issue.

steve1977

The latest stable MBS brings back to display the albumartist. Unfortunately, DLNA remains only partially working. When selecting an artist that is not an albumartitst ove DLNA, no album nor song shows up.

steve1977

I have an important pointer, which may be helpful for @@Luke for a bug fix?

The UPNP issue is not limited to cases where you have multiple artists. It is easiest to replicate by just a compilation album (e.g., a soundtrack). When adding a soundtrack to MBS, MBS will typically shows "Various artists" as albumartist and the respective artists under artists. Within MBS, clicking on "Various artists" (in albumartist view) or "artistname" (in artist view) will for both cases lead to a new screen, where the album (soundtrack) is shown.

When trying to do the same thing from a UPNP client, this does not work. "Various artists" (albumartist menu) leads me to the album. "Artist" (artist view) is being displayed (13 different ones assuming that 13 artists performed for this soundtrack), but clicking on this artist does nothing.

Once this is solved, I assume that the multiple artist issue will also be resolved.

Any idea? Thanks in advance!!!