MBC Empty Collections

CloudVader

CloudVader

Hi folks,

I've been having issues with MBC for about a week or so. I'm running server build 3.0.5050.37565 and MBC build 3.0.90.0. Basically, I have my collection divided up as Movies, TV, Documentaries, Anime, etc. but for some reason lately when I go to almost any of my collection screens, MBC reports that there are 0 items found in it.

Now, for some smaller collections I have, like Documentaries (168 items) and Stand-Up Comedy (53 items), they're showing up fine. It's the larger collections, like Movies (3722 items) and TV (310 shows, 10569 items) that are showing up completely empty. The odd part is that they're showing up just fine on the server's webpage, just not in MBC itself, so obviously they do exist in my library database.

Things I've tried to remedy this:

• I've tried installing MB Server on three different machines on my network to rule out any bandwidth or processing issues, until finally installing it on the HTPC running MBC itself. So now MB Server and MBC are on the same machine and this is still happening. All installs except the original (which was running fine until recently) were completely clean rebuilds of the library.db file, cache files, etc.
  • I took out all collection items labeled as "General or Mixed Content" since I know Luke had said that was causing some issues. I thought maybe something was screwed up indexing-wise. Didn't help.
  • I removed literally every collection item except TV (310 items) to reduce scanning time and database size. This hasn't helped. I still can't see my TV shows through MBC. I'm going to assume the same would happen if I tried to add only my movies back in.
  • I switched themes in MBC (tried Chocolate and Neo) in case this was a theme issue. The collections turn up empty no matter which theme I use.
  • I tried doing a manual refresh (Ctrl-R) of the TV collection in MBC, but nothing showed up.
  • Verified both programs' permissions/folder access and ran both MB Server and MBC as administrators, to no avail.
  • I have restarted the server and MBC multiple times, letting the Scan Library complete as normal each time.
  • I've canceled out Refresh People and Chapter Extraction just to be safe.
  • I've tried running MB Server as both an application and a Windows service, but neither seems to solve the issue.

The latest MBC and server log files demonstrating this problem are attached to this post (sorry that they are zipped, but the server log is too big to upload uncompressed). I have my TV collection (large) enabled and my Stand-Up Comedy collection (small) enabled just to show that Comedy loads while TV doesn't. I made sure to navigate to both collections both in the MB Server web browser and within MBC during this log capture. I've noticed several instances in the MBC log where it is telling me "Warning, Actual Children NULL for TV", which looks to me like it thinks my TV collection is empty even though it clearly is available through the MB Server webpage. I wonder if there's some sort of timeout value that's changed in recent builds that my collection is surpassing because of its size? I don't know anymore. I'm very frustrated, but I love MB3 and have been a supporter for a while now and don't want to give up on it, especially with MBT coming so soon.

Please help guys!

server-63519402235.zip

CBers

Please post a non-zipped file, or a link via Dropbox or similar.

Do you have MB3 server and MBC on separate PCs?

Are you using UNC paths to access your videos?

Do the same videos show OK in the Dashboard.

Edited by CBers

CloudVader

Please post a non-zipped file, or a link via Dropbox or similar.

Dropbox links (hope I did it right, I barely use Dropbox):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ugbxq5atp6ajta/server-63519402235.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hvdawwjw2b1tx3/MBClassic-7112013c2736656e4954bf193ffafad50ecac25.log

Do you have MB3 server and MBC on separate PCs?

As I said, I tried running them in varying configurations, originally I had them on separate machines but was still having this problem. They are now running on the same machine with the same problem. These logs reflect both programs running on the same PC.

Are you using UNC paths to access your videos?

Yes, all paths are UNC.

Do the same videos show OK in the Dashboard.

Yes, as I said, all videos show up in the MB Server Dashboard webpage. They take several seconds to load, but they do show up.

Are the web client and MBC both logging in as the same user?  Any parental control settings?

Never mind.  I see the request is timing out.  It is taking more than 20 seconds for the server to fulfill the request.

JohnnyM

I have  run into the same situation, sometimes (not always) the collections don't fill. In my situation the collections that are on an internal HD are filled and the ones on external HD connected to USB ports aren't loaded. The log states that they aren't available. I believe that  on boot the External HD are in the process of being initialized when MB3 Server starts. My fix was to take MB3Server.exe shortcut out of startup and start it manually until I prove my theory. So far it loads has always  filled the collection properly.

Next step would be to put in a delay to start MB3Server.

JohnnyM

Edited by JohnnyM

I don't think there is going to be any solution for you other than breaking your collection into smaller pieces.  MBC is not designed to page items like the web client does and 3700 movies in one shot is simply not something it will be able to handle in a reasonable amount of time.

I have  run into the same situation, sometimes (not always) the collections don't fill. In my situation the collections that are on an internal HD are filled and the ones on external HD connected to USB ports aren't loaded. The log states that they aren't available. I believe that  on boot the External HD are in the process of being initialized when MB3 Server starts. My fix was to take MB3Server.exe shortcut out of startup and start it manually until I prove my theory. So far it loads has always  filled the collection properly.

Next step would be to put in a delay to start MB3Server.

JohnnyM

This is a different issue.  As you surmised, this is because the hard drives have not initialized.

CloudVader

I don't think there is going to be any solution for you other than breaking your collection into smaller pieces.  MBC is not designed to page items like the web client does and 3700 movies in one shot is simply not something it will be able to handle in a reasonable amount of time.

Damn. Is this something MBT will be able to handle, or am I stuck with trying to figure out how to rearrange my collection?

Damn. Is this something MBT will be able to handle, or am I stuck with trying to figure out how to rearrange my collection?

MBT will probably do better with it.