Series without season folders

Aphid

I'm not sure if this is a feature request or a bug report, but TV series which have its episodes directly under the series folder, without season folders, almost work.

The episode files are resolved, and the series, season and episode metadata is found, but the episode metadata does not appear to be associated with the video files.

527aec51d39e5_NoSeasonFolders.png

Similarly, in the web client, the episodes are listed directly under the series, but with no metadata.

It is not the end of the world to have to sort episodes into season folders, but there are a lot of TV series which do not have seasons (e.g. all anime). It is highly likely that the user will not have season folders for such series, and re-organising their collection would just introduce otherwise redundant "Season 01" folders into every series.

Redshirt

Just to mention, media browser theater doesn't show the season folder if there's only one season. it goes right to the episodes. So the redundancy is limited to the file system. I like that behavior and plan to emulate it in the android client. 

When we first started we intended to support this, and we do actually have some code that handles it. But, there is a but - despite our pretty large test team we don't have anyone who actively does this, so testing fell by the wayside, and at this point we'd probably have to start all over it. So while it's nice to be as flexible as possible, I think that kind of says something about the priority level of it. But then we have to tell ui developers that they may potentially need two different series presentations, and whatever server work is required really pales in comparison to that. So we'll just have to see what the demand is for it.

Considering how easy it is to just move those items to a "Season 01" folder and the fact that the UIs will simply ignore a single folder and enter directly into it, I don't see a lot of impetus to support this format.

• Like 1

I spoke to luke about this, as the end user I would prefer this feature as well.

I currently use xbmc and have alot of tv shows not sorted by season, and yes its not hard to put it in season folders, but if you have 35 shows not sorted into season folders and an average of 5 seasons per show, with 12-24 episodes per season.... and then I should put season artwork in the appropriate folders as well....  I just think your going to run into users past and present who dont have everything perfectly separated into individual season folders like some of you do and this will be an ongoing question brought up.

The beauty of mb3 for me is the simplicity of it when it comes to serving up my media as an end user, so far in every other aspect its been incredibly flexible and simple presenting all my media nicely in an organized fashion with artwork. Unfortunately its a mess for tv if you dont have them sorted into season folders, so I could manually go ahead and move around all those tv shows and reorganize them but I would prefer it if mb3 would be a bit more flexible in this regard for those who dont have our folder structures sorted exactly the same way.

Edited by Ghostm

I would like to see this happen especially for series that have no seasons. As there are no seasons, the episode names logically only have the eXX part, and to put it in Season 1 folder, all the episodes will have to be renamed as s01eXX. It would kind of make since to allow episodes not tied with any season to reside directly under the series folder.