Crash course for interested devs?

jluce50

jluce50

I've been talking to another active user (cayars) about getting more involved in development, particularly in the realm of transcoding. Neither of us are really sure how to jump in and the idea of doing a WebEx (or similar) came up. Speaking for myself, I'm new to github and, obviously, whatever processes are in place specific to MB3 development. Would this be something one (or more) of the MB3 folks would be interested in doing? Or is there already a process in place for fast-tracking experienced developers into the world of MB3?

FWIW, this wouldn't have to be focused solely on transcoding. We could open it up to anyone interested in development in any area. Whatever you think would work best...

Edited by jluce50
  • Like 2

I'd love to have a FEW WebEx type sessions covering the basics.  It would be great to record them for future use also!

Some ideas: What's the navigational structure of the code, where to more easily find things in the code. How to build and test. Any tips and tricks people should know.

Anything obvious or not that help help devs ramp up quicker and get their feet wet is a very good thing.

How many others would be interested in something like this if it were to be done?

Carlo

+1 for me. I am always looking to gain experience (I am only a couple years old in development... and it shows sometimes...).

thefirstofthe300

+1 for this from me too.  I would just ask that the sessions be recorded and posted somewhere (YouTube maybe).

Plugin development has been an OK way for me to start but as this is my first time working on a project this size, it would be nice to have an overview of how things are put together.

Also, I would request a page for plugin devs that just lists the interfaces that would be useful to plugins and a brief summary of what they do.

Beardyname

It isn't everything you are asking for but you guys have seen the server wiki and the section on server plug-in development, right?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki

yep, just afraid (at least I am) to get in the water :)

I think this would be cool, but tbh the dev's time are probably better spent coding than trying to get a bunch of ppl started.

jluce50

It isn't everything you are asking for but you guys have seen the server wiki and the section on server plug-in development, right?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/wiki

Yeah, haven't read everything, but I've poked around in there a bit. However, my inclination (and experience) leans toward more core-level stuff (specifically transcoding) as opposed to API consumers. Is this an area you're currently looking for contributors?

spootdev

Adding the tool chain might not be a bad idea.  But it's a rather short list as I was able to get MB3 server built pretty quickly from forked github.

# is what I did for windows 7

Fork on Github

Clone to Desktop

intall Github's client software (makes it easy to use github imho)

install Visual Studio 2013 community addition

Install Powershell 4.0+

bring up cmd window

C:\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowser\Tools\Windows_Build_Script   <- or where ever u installed the source tree

./MediaBrowser.Build.ps1

And boom....you just compiled the server.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

I think ebr or luke created some plugin templates for the server and I have one for MBT that i created.  Only problem is that the code for MBT has changed so much since Aphid took on the infrastructure rework that it wouldn't be valid now, when the new Alpha is released to the community.

Best way is to look at the existing plugins, available on git. See all the implementations and inheritance(there's a lot of that) and how they function and go from there, obviously that's in terms of core coding.

I'm not experienced by any means, I'm 1000% self taught and have fumbled my way thru mediabrowser3 and MBC coding, made loadsa mistakes but then correcting them is the fun and made me much better.  Although a little guidance from fellow coders in this community are the ones I have to thank for actually making my brain work.

• Like 3