What Remote are you using?

TX_Theater

TX_Theater

What Remote controllers are you using to control your MBT and/or VLC? I'm looking to get a solution so I can program my bose remote to control my MBT (arrows and select) than pause/so video on vlc.

TX_Theater

I should add that I'm looking for IR options as I already have numerous android app remotes. Trying to get something the wife can use. Thanks!

Deihmos

I have harmony 650 and the harmony 900. I love harmony. They are the best remotes ever made.

Edited by Deihmos

AdrianW

Harmony One here as well - although the OK and exit buttons are playing up a bit (I guess they get used the most).

I'm using an original MS IR receiver on my old HTPC and the built in receiver on my NUC.

Edited by AdrianW

Cheesegeezer

Harmony One - Lounge using MS IR receiver

Harmony 1100 -Bedroom using built in Intel NUC IR receiver think it's a Novotron.

Harmony 885 - Kitchen using MS IR Receiver

Working Great for me

DrWatson

Guess I am old school - i don't like harmony remotes - probably because I find them restrictive in how I do things (maybe i just dont know how to program them properly lol).

I use a  Philips pronto tsu9800 with an rfx9600 extender. Great combo everything is customizable.

I see they are still fetching good coin on ebay 

Edited by DrWatson

I had a Harmony One but switched it out a few months ago for one of the new Home Hub solutions.  I really like it a lot better.  The actual remote is very small and comfortable and talks to the hub via BT so no line of sight issues or telling the SO "no, you have to keep pointing the remote at the tv for five seconds!".

• Like 1

legallink

I've switched all my media viewing to be through a roku, so the Roku remote it is.  Prior to that (about 6 months ago) we used a Harmony One with an iMon IR receiver.  Pointing it at the machine forever was a bit of an annoyance and the Harmony One is not baby proof :)  If you can get an RF based remote (or bluetooth), highly recommended.

AdrianW

I had a Harmony One but switched it out a few months ago for one of the new Home Hub solutions.  I really like it a lot better.  The actual remote is very small and comfortable and talks to the hub via BT so no line of sight issues or telling the SO "no, you have to keep pointing the remote at the tv for five seconds!".

I've considered one of those - but the combined skip/FF and RW/reverse buttons seems like it would be annoying, as does the lack of numeric/triple-tap alpha buttons. And I'm not convinced about the upper positioning of the transport buttons.

Where do you have the hub positioned? I don't think we have a suitable spot anywhere near a power outlet. 

fantaxp7

Harmony Ultimate with the hub. It's been overall great.

I do periodically get some freeze where I need to reboot the hub, but that rarely happens.

I got mine refurb on ebay. 

The combined FF/Skip buttons have not been a problem for me.  I would prefer the transport buttons be lower but the thing is overall so tiny and comfortable in your hand that I still like it much better than the One.  I never was one for triple-tap so I don't miss that either.

I have a simple Apple remote (silver) that have been just perfect with Plex Home Theatre (PHT). Now that I'm working on making the Kodi plugin experience a good substitute for PHT, I need to remap some keys to make it optimal.

Apart from that I believe the Apple remote, when optimally mapped, is the perfect remote as it's wife and kid friendly and gives all the options needed while its small and elegant to keep around on the table.

• 4 weeks later...
DigiTM

I just use the good old fashioned Microsoft Media Centre remote.  Got the Harmony One but wife didn't like it (too many buttons she said).  So went back to the big buttoned Microsoft one.

• Like 1

AxeMan

Harmony Home Control ... just upgraded from a Harmony 890. HTPC has an Antec iR receiver.

I use MediaBrowser Classic paired with WMP-HC + Sharks007 codecs.

gthrift

Harmony Ultimate with the Hub since all of the equipment is in a closet.  Upgraded from a Harmony 1100 when I moved to a new house and I had to have something that worked through walls.  It works well.  I used to have some issues where the remote would completely stop responding but a recent firmware update fixed that.