Sync Resume/Playback between users?

Steveo369

Steveo369

Hello:

Long time MB/MBC/WMC user here.  I've recently started playing more with the various apps for iOS/Android and the web interface for remotely accessing my media.  MediaBrowser has come a long way from the original WMC incarnation. 

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up MBS such that Resume points and recently played (video) media can be synced between two users? 

Here's my setup and reasoning:

I use MBClassic with my HTPC MBServer, as well as with (2) extenders.  As I prefer the WMC interface for music playback, I originally set up MBServer with only a single user (User 1) with access to my video media only.  This user was used for all local MBClassic logins on the Server and Extenders.  I don't want the "Music" option to show up in MBClassic interface for these connections, as I can easily access the music from the native WMC interface.  I am a cablecard television user, so I spend most time in WMC, with movies and trailers primarily served by MBClassic.

As I began using Media Browser on various remote clients, I decided to create a new user (User 2) and add the music collection so that I could also remotely play my music collection.  I also associated User 2 with Media Browser Connect (awesome).  This whole system works excellently, aside from the current limitations of the iOS app, hopefully updated soon.  The web interface works great until that gets fixed.

So, my issue is this - Now when I watch video using various remote devices, the resume states associated with User 2 are not shared back to User 1.  When returning home after a remote session and then starting to watch something locally on MBClassic (User 1), I don't have quick access to recently watched items or resume points for any remotely watched videos, as they are associated with a different User (User2).

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to accomplish? I'm also not too keen on logging out and in to different users on remote devices specifically to play video or audio files just to maintain resume/recently watched data.  And doing anything other than auto-login on local extenders is out of the question.

An alternate way that I can possibly think of is to add the music library to User 1 and somehow 'hide' the music library from the local versions of MBClassic, and then use the User 1 profile from remote clients, but I can't quite figure out how to "hide portions" of the library from the certain connecting devices using the MBClassic interface either.

Thanks for any advice or input that you can provide!  Maybe I'm just too picky, but I'm hoping that I can figure out a way to work this out.

-Steveo369

What is the harm in having an item on your MBC menu that you never enter into?

I say just use one user since that is how the system is designed and everything will work exactly how you want.  Just never go into the music section in MBC.

Steveo369

What is the harm in having an item on your MBC menu that you never enter into?

I say just use one user since that is how the system is designed and everything will work exactly how you want.  Just never go into the music section in MBC.

I am currently leaning with going this way, even though it gives a pretty good slap to the face of my OCD.  I will probably sort things out so that "Music" just sits at the far right of the EHS. 

Thanks for the suggestions and input, I was more curious if I was missing something, there's a lot of customization that MB can do, and I haven't figured it all out yet!

I will also look into the trakt plug in.

Thanks guys!

Shameless plug here (and it may or may not be the interface you want) but if you were to use MB Plus, you could design your categories such that only the items you wanted to show up would be there.  Its interface is completely customizable.