Best MB experience

tman

I still cant because i need a PC for my colossus HDPVR in order to get live tv in the first place

Couldn't that be on the server?

saitoh183

Couldn't that be on the server?

Could but my problem is that my server is in a another room and i would have to get the cable company to run a new cable wire to that room to plug the set top box in the same room as the server and then i could install the card there.

saitoh183

What would be awsome is if i could find a way to run Android TV in a shell on top of windows :D

saitoh183

http://consoleos.com/

Not sure if you can do Android TV but normal Android is no problem.

Yeah i looked at this but my problem is that i need windows running so that i can use my ServerWMC. With this i can only dual-boot from what i understood.

Ok, I think I'm really interested in Android TV as the future front end for MB. With big TV manufacturers buying in, I think the market could get flooded with new, small powerful media players, as well as it built in on other TV's. MB needs to be there, right at the front of the queue, and I think it will be.

I did try the Samsung TV app though, and well I'll be, it's not half bad. Worked fine with what I tried, and while the video was direct streamed, audio (FLAC) was transcoded, but it played perfectly. Poster images are a little rough, but overall I was pretty impressed. Well done all involved. Seems like Samsung are shifting over to a Tizen based smart hub this year though. All change again!

godfa7h3r

I've also been considering my future options for MB. I'm a long time supporter and have loved the interface. Also really like the direction it's headed with the mobile apps and ability to sync your media offline. Very cool stuff.

But for the home, I'm really undecided on where to go. Right now I have a W8.1 PC sitting in the utility room that is the server. Then two 360's running as extenders both hardwired.

I'm looking to replace the extenders with a new box of some type. Ideally would like to have something that can direct play the majority of media including lossless audio to minimize the amount of transcoding. I would like a hardwired box to avoid wifi. After testing out MBT a bit this weekend, it seems like this could be an option. But I would need to tweak the Harmony remote quite a bit to get this working the way I'd like. The bigger concern I had was that the W8 Netflix app can't be controlled with a remote, which is a real bummer as I wanted one box to do everything.

I hadn't considered an Android TV box before, but that could be a real option and I look forward to seeing it in action.

In a perfect world, I would love to see a MediaBrowser branded box that could just do everything!

I've also been considering my future options for MB. I'm a long time supporter and have loved the interface. Also really like the direction it's headed with the mobile apps and ability to sync your media offline. Very cool stuff.

But for the home, I'm really undecided on where to go. Right now I have a W8.1 PC sitting in the utility room that is the server. Then two 360's running as extenders both hardwired.

I'm looking to replace the extenders with a new box of some type. Ideally would like to have something that can direct play the majority of media including lossless audio to minimize the amount of transcoding. I would like a hardwired box to avoid wifi. After testing out MBT a bit this weekend, it seems like this could be an option. But I would need to tweak the Harmony remote quite a bit to get this working the way I'd like. The bigger concern I had was that the W8 Netflix app can't be controlled with a remote, which is a real bummer as I wanted one box to do everything.

I hadn't considered an Android TV box before, but that could be a real option and I look forward to seeing it in action.

In a perfect world, I would love to see a MediaBrowser branded box that could just do everything!

I also considered a small NUC running Windows 8.1, as this could be, let's be honest, a perfect interface for HTPC is only MS had added support for remote controls. They were so blinkered in their push for touch, they forgot what this interface *could* do as a 10' UI with remote control. I don't think Win10 will do anything for this either. Shame.

With a bit more work, MBT could be the answer, but it still seems to be way behind MBC in features, functionality and overall polish. I'm watching this closely though. For now, WMC + MBC will remain my interface of choice, but Android TV will be the one to watch - if Google can get this thing out there. They seem hesitant on going full tilt on new products, more interested in doing smaller rollouts in certain countries (ie, US). You can get a US import NP in the UK, but you'll pay a premium for it. Not sure how far MB for Android TV is from release either.

politby

I also considered a small NUC running Windows 8.1, as this could be, let's be honest, a perfect interface for HTPC is only MS had added support for remote controls.

I just purchased an NUC - the cheapest one with a Bay Trail 2830 CPU - for use with Media Browser Classic, and to my surprise MBC seems to be too much for it to handle, even with the Chocolate theme.

I used to run MBC on a Zotac ID18 with a measly Celeron 1.3 GHz CPU and never had any problems. It seems something has been done with the latest MBC versions that causes it to require much higher performance hardware.

I used to run MBC on a Zotac ID18 with a measly Celeron 1.3 GHz CPU and never had any problems. It seems something has been done with the latest MBC versions that causes it to require much higher performance hardware.

No, that shouldn't be the case.

The issue might be with whatever video card is in that NUC as opposed to the CPU though.

gthrift

I just purchased an NUC - the cheapest one with a Bay Trail 2830 CPU - for use with Media Browser Classic, and to my surprise MBC seems to be too much for it to handle, even with the Chocolate theme.

I have the same NUC and performance was terrible in MBC @ 1080p. Changing to 720p made everything run perfectly but that is far from ideal. I'm actually about to list it on eBay since I just bought another Nexus Player to replace it in the bedroom. I was going to hold out for the Razer but this was listed on amazon at $75 so I didn't pass it up.

Nvidia might be announcing an android TV box tomorrow, if they do and depending on the price I might pick one up. I wouldn't mind using it to stream games to my bedroom.

Edited by gthrift

politby

I have the same NUC and performance was terrible in MBC @ 1080p. Changing to 720p made everything run perfectly but that is far from ideal. I'm actually about to list it on eBay since I just bought another Nexus Player to replace it in the bedroom. I was going to hold out for the Razer but this was listed on amazon at $75 so I didn't pass it up.

Nvidia might be announcing an android TV box tomorrow, if they do and depending on the price I might pick one up. I wouldn't mind using it to stream games to my bedroom.

Not what I wanted to hear [emoji26] but I need to have Media Center until an actual workable replacement is available, so I guess I can always use a Chromecast or DLNA until that happens.

PhinkBig

I've been waiting too see how the Android TV space develops...Android Police says the Nvidia Sheild has pass-thru 7.1. If it can truly bitstream, and the MB app can support it, I will be very tempted to give these a shot.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/03/nvidia-announces-shield-a-tegra-x1-powered-set-top-box-running-android-tv/

Macburp

I've been waiting too see how the Android TV space develops...Android Police says the Nvidia Sheild has pass-thru 7.1. If it can truly bitstream, and the MB app can support it, I will be very tempted to give these a shot.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/03/nvidia-announces-shield-a-tegra-x1-powered-set-top-box-running-android-tv/

Not worth $199 by a long stretch. More for the gamer I think

godfa7h3r

The NVIDIA Shield might be the box I've been waiting for. $199 is steep for what I would use it for. Would be great to get it at $149 without the controller. But their specs list 7.1 audio pass through over HDMI (which I would assume means it can bitstream?), IR receiver that is compatible with Harmony, gigabit Ethernet on board. Can't want to see the MediaBrowser client running on one!

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

For consistency, I've found the best experience to be the Web Client and Roku Client. The family just wants to sit down and watch content. The Roku client works especially well for my autistic stepson.

I don't have Windows Media Center and not really willing to pay upwards of $100 to put it on all the computers in the house. So I haven't used Classic for any degree of time. Theater shows promise but isn't ready for prime time. iOS and Android via Amazon are both out of date and missing new features. 

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri