Replacing content organised by media folder?

Silver

My collection of films is broken up into a couple of folders, some of which are:

- Pixar

- James Bond

- Childrens

- Box Sets

As MBT and the server web UI has developed, I've notice that the way to view the content grouped by these folders is being gradually hidden away in favour of you just selecting "movies" and browsing everything you have.

Is there a better way to group stuff so that you don't just have 100+ films all lumped into the same view?

I assume I could create a collection for each - but not all of them have an actual collection available in real life. For example, I have "before midnight", "before sunrise" and "before sunset". If I go down this route, there could be a lot of configuring work to do.

Any thoughts?

Right now collections are the answer.  Many of them can be created automatically but you can also create manual ones and that can be done pretty quickly with the web interface.

In the future, we will have smart playlists which may also be helpful here.

thefirstofthe300

One thing you might look at is the Auto Box Sets plugin. It will take all of your movies and use metadata from TMDB to create box sets on the server. You can then tick the Group movies into collections option in user preferences and the server will display the box set in the movie view instead of each individual film.

Another thing you can do is tick the option in user preferences called Display a folders view to show plain media folders and it will add an icon that will allow you to browse your collection based on the folder structure.

EDIT: Darn. Ebr beat me to it. :)

Edited by DaBungalow