MB Server gone from computer after update?

bishoph

Hi,

My server appears to be gone and it happened sometime overnight b/c it was working fine last night.

I know the protocols for posting when you have a problem, but I just have a general question..if I try to reinstall am I going to lose all my settings from before?  I had done a lot of settings in the library and other parts of the interface..

Also, any other known problems with a server just apparently disappearing?  I'm running it on Windows 8.  The desktop icon says it links to a file that no longer exists, and when I got into services inside of task manager, MediaBrowser is still there but if I try to manually start it, it says "the system cannot find the path specified"..

Thanks!

If the app data stuff is still there then re-installing will not overwrite it but I'd investigate what happened here.  Sounds like maybe some sort of error trying to update but you should try and figure out what is really missing.

Oh, also be sure you are logged into Windows under the same account that runs the server (or at least one that can see its user area).

DarWun

Also, any other known problems with a server just apparently disappearing?  

A shot in the dark here:  Are you by any chance running Norton Security?  I am, and the files associated with the 3.0.5518.x branch of MB are quarantined as a high level risk by its Sonar protocol the very first time the server is run.  This happens without giving the user the opportunity to cancel the operation.  There is a brief notification flyout telling the user that the files are being removed.  But if you are not sitting in front of the computer when it happens, you would return to find the server mysteriously missing.  The quarantined files can be restored after a reboot and NS can be told to ignore them in the future.  I've had to do this for all upgrades starting with the 3.0.5518.1 beta.

Edited by DarWun

I've got the same problem  I installed MB yesterday and it worked fine.  Today, after update to MB 3.0.5518.7, Norton Security Suite flagged it as a Trojan, virus .identified as  SONAR.Heuristic.120.  Norton removed all MB files and settings, and required a restart to complete the "threat" removal.  So far, I haven't found a way to make Norton ignore that "threat"

DarWun and evantl1, that appears to be my exact problem as well.  evantl1, my Norton 360 is telling me the exact same SONAR.Heuristic virus and removal of several MB-related programs from my AppData folder.

I've posted my log from Norton below..anyone know if I can save these files Norton says it "removed"??  Is the \config\system.xml file it says it removed the one that contained my configuration settings?

Filename: mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe
Threat name: SONAR.Heuristic.120
Full Path: Not Available

Details
Very Few Users,  Very New,  Risk High

Origin
Downloaded from
 Unknown

Activity
Actions performed: 10

On computers as of 
2/21/2015 at 3:50:55 AM

Last Used 
2/21/2015 at 3:50:55 AM

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
Yes

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

High
This file risk is high.

SONAR Protection monitors for suspicious program activity on your computer.

Source: External Media

Source File:
mediabrowser.updater.exe

File Created:
mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe

File Created:
mediabrowser.updater.exe

File Created:
mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe

File Actions

File: c:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\mediabrowser-server\System\ mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe Removed
File: c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\logs\ server-63560087455.txt Removed
File: c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\config\ system.xml Removed
File: c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\ssl\ cert_9c31b7884ea5475c8687970fc5996297.pfx Removed
Directory: c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\ffmpeg\ 20150110 Removed
Directory: c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\ ssl Removed

Registry Actions

Registry change: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2279774617-3558346952-150610624-1001_CLASSES\Local Settings\MuiCache\37\ 52C64B7E->LanguageList:..., Registry Hive: 64 bit Repaired

Network Actions

Event: Network activity (Performed by c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\system\mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe, PID:14024) No action taken

System Settings Actions

Event: Process start (Performed by c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\system\mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe, PID:14024) No action taken
Event: Process start: c:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\mediabrowser-server\System\ mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe, PID:14024 (Performed by c:\users\robert\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\system\mediabrowser.serverapplication.exe, PID:14024) No action taken

File Thumbprint - SHA:
Not available
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

Obviously this is a false positive.  Do you guys have the ability to report it as safe to Norton via the software?

Hey ebr,

I run my server on the same machine I'm trying to access it from, but I run it from different usernames (signed in simultaneously) - how do I get this working?

EDIT - it is working fine - for some reason the upgrade closed the server and it wasn't running.

Edited by tp546

I'm back up and running, seemingly with nothing lost.  I did download Recuva to restore deleted files (which based on my limited used of it, would highly recommend) to recover the files Norton deleted and I was at least able to recover the MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe and system.xml files.  But that's probably moot, b/c I just ended up reinstalling the latest MB server, and sat at my computer when Norton identified it as a threat..and was able to go in and restore/add it to the excluded list.  It reinstalled, I didn't lose any settings in my library or plugins.  I had never had Norton do this to my MB setup before, through all the update installations during the 2 years or so I've been a member.  But searching around I saw others have had this happen too.

I really appreciate other members weighing in, DarWun's "shot in the dark" Norton idea led me down the right path!  evantl1, I hope this gives you guidance to get yours back up and running.

I submitted this to Norton.  Meanwhile, I reinstalled MB after adding the MB Server folder to Norton Sonar's ignore list..all is good now