Question about plans for the transcoder...

jluce50
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jluce50

From what I've seen around the net, the approach to transcoding appears to be the one area many people seem to favor Plex. My understanding is that the MB transcoder will go full-bore until the entire file is transcoded, while Plex will transcode just enough of the file at a time to stay ahead of the user's current position. It seems like Plex's approach might be more ideal for people who are serving multiple streams at a time. Are there plans to change this in the future? If not, what are the reasons/advantages for the current approach? I'm wondering if people might feel this way simply because they're (we're) uneducated on why MB works the way it does...

Edited by jluce50

• Solution

No, unfortunately, that feature had to be disabled later after some issues were uncovered.  It was working nicely for the dev and beta groups, but then once it got into the wild we ran into some problems. We will be working to restore it soon.

• Like 1

MSattler

For what it's worth if you have a good enough processors it's not an issue.  Recently I was running 3 20-30Mb streams, all being transcoded, and an i7-4770 handled it just fine.  It simply reduced the cpu usage by each ffmpeg thread, and all three streams were fine.  So it's not like if one stream takes 99% cpu, that you cannot watch a second or third stream from other places.

jluce50

No, unfortunately, that feature had to be disabled later after some issues were uncovered.  It was working nicely for the dev and beta groups, but then once it got into the wild we ran into some problems. We will be working to restore it soon.

Ah, okay. Looking forward to this being reimplemented! Is there any chance it could be added as an "experimental" option in the meantime?