TV recommendations for MB

politby

politby

Mornin' all,

I am thinking of purchasing an extra TV that will be used pretty much exclusively with Media Browser, with a bit of Netflix. It will also be used with live TV, hopefully through Media Browser now that we have the DVBlink plugin.

The basic purpose is really to avoid having to sit with a tablet or a phone when someone else is using the home theater.

Probably something in the size region of 42" to 48". It would be cool to have a 4k display for a bit of future proofing but with this size of display that is probably just a gimmick.

Ideally we would just have the TV, no extra devices. That would mean a smart TV and as I understand it that means Samsung, being the only brand that has a media browser app.

Unfortunately I don't think Smart TVs are particularly future proof, given that the TV manufacturers seem to change everything for each model year and stop supporting older models. So I suspect it is a wiser choice to have a separate device that supports my content. What is the best choice?

- Chromecast?

- Roku?

- Android (FireTV, Nexus Player)?

- ultra-SFF PC?

- etc.

Fundamentally I am a Windows person so I like the new crop of ultra small form factor Bay Trail systems. Unfortunately they will require stuff like IR receiver dongles, creating unnecessary wire clutter.

Our household does not do Apple. [emoji41]

Which are the best current TVs for this type of application? I would obviously like to keep the cost down as much as possible - this will be a secondary TV after all - but I want to avoid the really low priced crap.

How good are the cheap 4k TVs today? I am in EU so I am thinking of brands like SWEDX which has a reasonably good reputation.

Please let me hear your recommendations and suggestions. Again I am in Europe so product families rather than specific model numbers are fine unless you are in the same area as I am.

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by politby

Beardyname

quick reply, I personally would wait (if you can) until the android TV stuff start hitting the market, should be later this year.

MB will have an app for that!

• Like 3

politby

Unfortunately waiting is not an option. The rest of the household wants this NOW [emoji6] and I want to get it done before the budget allocated to it gets absorbed by other stuff...

AdrianW

I'm using a NUC with both MBC and MBS installed. I think if I was in the market for a second TV, I'd buy a second NUC to go with it - this time just installing MBC.

I think MBC still has the best UI and the best WAF.

And I think 4K is a waste of money at just about any screen size below around 80" - unless it's being used as a PC monitor.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

politby

I agree about 4k most likely being overkill on a smaller display, but after a bit of consultation with the family it was agreed that using it as a computer display would be a likely use case.

I found the LG 42UB820V which does 4K at 60 Hertz on the HDMI input, although only at 4:4:2 color.

I think I am going to go ahead and order one of these. It's got several HDMI ports so I will probably start out with a Chromecast while I am looking for a suitable ultra small PC that can run Media Center, MBS and the DVBLink network client.

Edited by politby

AdrianW

...while I am looking for a suitable ultra small PC that can run Media Center, MBS and the DVBLink network client.

...and can do 4K out.

AdrianW

Right. Does such a product exist at all today?

I think the latest Intel NUCs can. I have the previous gen (D54250WYK) - and according to that link it can do 4K. Mine's connected to a 1080p plasma though.

gthrift

Can your server handle transcoding? What's your budget for the box?

-Chromecast is the cheapest but requires another device to start the streaming process.

-Android TV is nice but the MB app is very much Alpha right now.

-Roku are nice and have a lot of other channels. Haven't used one myself but it looks like there are a lot of users that do.

-The new Intel NUCs are coming out soon, support 4K but are pricey to get built. On the other hand, its a PC and can do anything.

TolkienBard

We have a Samsung Smart TV here in this household that uses the Samsung app for MB. It also includes apps for all the major streaming services. Having the MB app on the TV has gotten such high scores in the WAF that I've been given some leeway to expand MB throughout the house in other ways now.

politby

Okay, I ended up getting an open-box LG 40UB800V from Amazon Germany for 375 euros. That is a very good price and they ship it right to my door up here in Sweden for 20€ and that is half of what local e-tailers charge for shipping with post office pickup. Amazon rules [emoji41]

It will be cool to have a 4k TV even if there is no content... not sure if Netflix here in Sweden does 4k, I believe it is US only at this time.

I wonder if there is an LG app for Vudu?

Now hoping for an LG media browser app to show up soon. In the meantime I think I will just use my Lumia 2520 or my wife's Surface 3. The Surface has Media Center so I will be able to use MBC and WMC native TV with DVBlink.

Saves me the extra cost and hassle of getting dongles or devices.

Edited by politby