Server - Server generated images for missing images

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Now that the server is capable of generating images..is it more feasible to have the server fill in blanks in image metadata. Eg season images flow down from series images if no season image exists on fetchers? Default series image, flow to series if none exist on fetchers?

• Like 1

This has always been possible but needs to be handled at the display/client app level and many do already.  We don't want to physically copy images down the hierarchy because, many times, the images become available at a later time.

Where, specifically, are you looking for this?

ginjaninja

This has always been possible but needs to be handled at the display/client app level and many do already. We don't want to physically copy images down the hierarchy because, many times, the images become available at a later time.

Where, specifically, are you looking for this?

Thanks ebr

There is a personal and academic use case..

I use subdued on mbc..and season images are on the ral of the ehs ..so missing images are undesirable. (Especially if the series has an image).

Given the rich and visual aesthetic of the clients...ideally there would be no blank images , not conforming to the presribed consistent aspect ratio anywhere in the server and client uis..default images which were used in a worst case scenario would be a positive step imo.

• Like 1

aspdend

I agree - it irritates me when there are blank images for the seasons - it would make me happier to have one created. 

We wouldn't want to actually create an image here you just need the client app to fall back to parent images when appropriate.  I'm pretty sure Chocolate does this...

• Like 1

aspdend

We wouldn't want to actually create an image here you just need the client app to fall back to parent images when appropriate.  I'm pretty sure Chocolate does this...

I see - that sounds like a good plan - a default image with a text overlay or similar...So this is integral to Chocolate? May have to speak to Cheese/Schaeff about Iridium/Xenon then...

No, I mean Chocolate should fall back to a Series poster if there is no Season one.  If there also isn't a Series poster then you are gonna get the default "folder" image.

ginjaninja

is it possible/might it be an improvement for the server api/response to virtually instance an image (without as you say...copying it to a location) so clients dont require recoding...

and it not get in the way of a fetcher at a later date acquiring an image...

Edited by ginjaninja

I don't think we want to introduce that kind of "intelligence" into the API (but Luke can contradict me if he wants) because that makes assumptions about how the information is being used.  Instead, the API provides the parent information and the client can decide how to use it.

aspdend

No, I mean Chocolate should fall back to a Series poster if there is no Season one.  If there also isn't a Series poster then you are gonna get the default "folder" image.

I get you - good idea to incorporate that! That sounds like something that should be implemented by all themes imho - 

ginjaninja

I don't think we want to introduce that kind of "intelligence" into the API (but Luke can contradict me if he wants) because that makes assumptions about how the information is being used.  Instead, the API provides the parent information and the client can decide how to use it.

@@Luke, would you humour me?

As a non dev I  am completely overreaching now and questioning (more for interests sake) than anything else...

i wonder how contentious/dangerous it can be for the server to provide the series poster when the client asks for the season poster and its not there....

Such a proposal doesnt require the client to change its 'outlook on life'  and it doesnt require the server or the library to change its 'outlook on life'....just in the instance that the client asks for a season poster that not there (and the series is)..the server decides for that instance to return the series poster.

To "try" (most likely incorrectly) to use terms i have seen you devs use...the endpoints dont change, merely the wizard of oz logic abstracted away from all functionality, in the centre of MB3,  on what gets returned when anything calls for the season image..Its the servers prerogative to provide whatever image it sees fit, without any change to the contract.

to a non dev, ley man, It seems unelligant for a seemingly central (1 to many) function (library image metadata) to be handled by the clients separately if there is a robust/non contentious way for the central single server function to provide the service, when for the most part it already does provide the service for season image metadata.