Need 8.1 Pro (because of WMC)

Bert

Bought a computer that came with Windows 8 and need 8 Pro in order to get WMC.  Short of forking over $100 to MS basically for WMC, anybody have another (cheaper) option?  I realize it's not going to be free and see these places you can buy keys but not sure they're legit.  TIA

Yeah, that could be an option except it is EFI only which makes it incompatible with 7 or Vista (both of which I would be happy to use existing licenses).

Maleficarum

I believe only x86 (or 32bit) versions of 7 do not support efi boot. If you can get hold of 64 bit then you should be fine, otherwise check if your machine supports legacy boot (a large amount of efi machines do) enabling this should also solve the problem.

I believe only x86 (or 32bit) versions of 7 do not support efi boot. If you can get hold of 64 bit then you should be fine, otherwise check if your machine supports legacy boot (a large amount of efi machines do) enabling this should also solve the problem.

Appears you are correct, I'll have to figure out if my keys work since they're upgrade keys (I think) and it looks a bit complicated to install.

Deihmos

I remember paying 14.95 for windows 8 pro with wmc when it launched. So happy I got 2 license at the time. You can try the student option 69.99 or just wait for windows 10 but no one knows exactly how that will work. Or downgrade to Windows 7.

Edited by Deihmos

Yeah, that's how I got my last one and considered buying two but wasn't sure I would have a use for it.  Think it's going to be easiest to just fork out the $100 and be done with it.......my time is worth something....

dark_slayer

Clean installing W7 x64 from an upgrade license is pretty straightforward

I'm more interested in what @@Deihmos is alluding to with the above post. You can use your pro license on more than one PC? Wouldn't one get the "may not be a genuine copy of Windows" message if they are both connected to the internet?

Edited by dark_slayer

I tried that before, it deactivates on the original computer when you activate on the second.  You cannot use the same key twice on two active computers.

Deihmos

I tried that before, it deactivates on the original computer when you activate on the second. You cannot use the same key twice on two active computers.

Works for me.