extras vs specials folder usage?

dayoff

I'm a really new user and had a question about file sorting.  I checked out the wiki and it mentions that for Movies, I should put my 'extras', such as documentaries, outtakes, etc..into a folder called 'extras' off the folder that I have for each movie.  I did that, but things still seemed to get added to my library's main movie selection interface with all these 'unresolvable' titles.. 

Should I be putting it into folders called 'specials' and not 'extras', or do they essentially work the same?  I did some quick tests and specials seemed to work, but my searches in the forum seemed to tie that to TV show category extra episode usage..

Thanks!

Pete

Is there something I have to set or configure in order to get mediabrowser to ignore the stuff in the extras folder?  When I browse my Movies folder, it comes up with titles that are in those directories...even though most of them right now aren't named to anything special...

It's happening :)  I have pages of these half-height pictures it's picked up automatically, instead of the regular movie posters... sometimes it picks them up as movie-related and tags them with a poster as well.  They're all mkv files, and my pathing looks like this: \\server\dvd\movies\a to c\a Christmas story\extras   The folder i'm pointing to is \\server\dvd\movies , assigned as content type: movies.

Is there anything that might help troubleshoot what may be happening?  If I have the files in the root folder of the movie and it gets picked up and nfo files and such are generated...and I move the files into the 'extras' subfolder, would that cause this condition?

Thanks for looking at this.. Attached three screen shots...one of what i'm seeing in the browser, the specials directory listing, and how it's appearing in the metadata manager.

post-23315-0-71441600-1423971158_thumb.png

post-23315-0-61252800-1423971159_thumb.png

post-23315-0-15495200-1423971160_thumb.png

Am I better off wiping my install and restarting?  In reading the wiki, I don't see what I could be doing wrong, unless folder depth is involved in the extras or specials folder?

your directory looks fine. the only thing i can think of is that perhaps it hasn't been tested when used in conjunction with multi-resolutions like you have. we'll review it over the next release cycle.

Spaceboy

I've previously reported problems with using specials rather than extras that produced exactly the same as the OP describes.

I've tested this both ways, with specials and extras folders, and with single movie files and multi-resolution movies. No problems were found, so I guess I would make sure your library is classified as type Movies. Tests were done on the latest beta, 3.0.5518.5

I did some poking around and there were a few issues I noticed.  First was that I needed to get the foldernames back to 'extras' instead of 'specials'.  I had switched to specials when I started noticing problems, then read some forum posts saying it shouldn't matter, etc...gathered that from someplace. 

Once I corrected it and named everything extras, then I noticed I still had some odd behavior and multiple listing for things, extras, etc.  I had to go through and make sure the multiple resolution folders had a space between the dash for resolution.  Thus, if I had movie-480p.mkv and movie-720p.mkv  in the same folder, it was causing problems and showing multiple movie listings instead of treating it like the same... I lost track if this caused an issue with the extras folder in those same folders or not, but after going through and renaming them 'movie - 480p.mkv' and 'movie - 720p.mkv', that started to clear up issues. 

I recall seeing the ' - 480p' spacing gap mentioned in the wiki, but after I had folders with only one resolution movie in it, like 'movie-480p.mkv' by itself in a folder, it didn't seem to cause any problems with multiple movie title listings, nor was the title being picked up as 'movie-480p', so I thought that it was an acceptable, and perhaps the spacing was not necessary.  Thus, my mistake on that, but perhaps something to add to the wiki so people like myself who get a bit too creative late at night with file sorting, don't paint themselves into a corner. :)

Then there were the folders...I had to ensure that a folder named 'Movie Part 2' continued files that were named 'Movie Part 2 - 480p.mkv'.  Using 'Movie Part II - 480p.mkv' would cause problems...thus a bit more cleanup

After that, the last step to get things on track came down to rerunning the library scan, then going into directories where this happened (or still appeared problematic in the metadata manager), and deleting out the extra files.  I noticed if I monkeyed around and changed all my 'movie-480p.*' files to 'movie - 480p.*' with a file renaming utility, even though it renamed everything very very quickly, when I reran the library scan, there was sometimes some mediabrowser files that would repopulate.  Once I deleted those, I was good.  In some instances, the library scan would recreate the old folder, so I had to find that folder (which then didn't include any media files, but mediabrowser recreated the old foldername, and added those misc. files to it'.   For example, if I renamed a folder from "Movie" to "The Movie" to match the files contained inside, that might trigger the old folder "Movie" to repopulate.

I know this is a lot of angles of problems, but perhaps it helps someone out there that's new to it like myself...to get things in order.  Took a while, but it was worth it!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Pete

denethor

I was experiencing the same problem in movies with multiple resolutions (moviename - [hsbs].mkv and  moviename - 1080p.mkv) And I also solved it with changing folder name to "extras"

But sadly I couldn't remember when this problem is introduced. By the way at some point changing folder name to extras was not even solving the issue. So I' ve removed one of my extras folder to temporary location to clean up mess in "New Movies" section.

Than I putted my extras back to movie folder with every new alpha version to see if it solved or not. I'm not sure but I think after 3.0.5526 problem disappeared with using "extras" folder instead of "specials". I always thought that it was something wrong with my setup thats why i did not reported. Now I saw this thread. I wish I had collect more data  :wacko:

No I think dayoff hit the nail on the head

I had to go through and make sure the multiple resolution folders had a space between the dash for resolution.  Thus, if I had movie-480p.mkv and movie-720p.mkv  in the same folder, it was causing problems and showing multiple movie listings instead of treating it like the same... I lost track if this caused an issue with the extras folder in those same folders or not, but after going through and renaming them 'movie - 480p.mkv' and 'movie - 720p.mkv', that started to clear up issues. 

I recall seeing the ' - 480p' spacing gap mentioned in the wiki, but after I had folders with only one resolution movie in it, like 'movie-480p.mkv' by itself in a folder, it didn't seem to cause any problems with multiple movie title listings, nor was the title being picked up as 'movie-480p', so I thought that it was an acceptable, and perhaps the spacing was not necessary.  Thus, my mistake on that, but perhaps something to add to the wiki so people like myself who get a bit too creative late at night with file sorting, don't paint themselves into a corner.  :)