OTA Live TV?

strager

strager

Hi guys,

Is there a way to use one of those "live TV" plugins to do over the air TV? I've seen a few devices that can add them to ROKU etc. but I figure there's gotta be a better way. 

Yes.  Get a tuner (like a HD Homerun), install one of the apps that can get TV from it (like Wmc/ServerWmc or NextPvr) then install the appropriate MB plug-in and have at it.

strager

Yes.  Get a tuner (like a HD Homerun), install one of the apps that can get TV from it (like Wmc/ServerWmc or NextPvr) then install the appropriate MB plug-in and have at it.

A couple of quick follow up questions....

Does it matter which tuner I get? Is the HD Homerun the best one? If not, what is? If so, does it matter which HD Homerun you use? Also - does it have to be on the same network as the server? I was thinking I could put one of these at my brothers house on the US east coast to get east coast channels and one here to get local channels. 

jasonmcroy

I am not sure which one is "best", but I have used both the USB Tuner stick from Kworld and about 3 weeks ago bought the HD Homerun Extend (used to be called HD Homerun Plus) for OTA channels and I love it! I use NextPVR so I can record my TV Shows and I use the MB plugin for NextPVR. Now I have Live TV on my Roku (via the MB Roku App) in 2 rooms in the house and Live TV on the go on my Android phone with the MB Android App. It's working great for me.

I am not sure about the one at your brother's house. I am sure it could be set up, just not sure what the quality would be like. He would probably need a pretty fast computer as well as you on your end.

-Jason

strager

I could send him a computer if needbe... he's got pretty high end internet and I could get him to upgrade with this as he's cutting cable and going to sling TV (which ROCKS fyi) + my library this month. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking I could put one of these at my brothers house on the US east coast to get east coast channels and one here to get local channels. 

It could be done if you know what you're doing but it really comes down to why you want to do it how you will use it.

You might be better off just setting up a minimal MB setup with LiveTV at his East coast house.  For TV you could then switch between an "East Coast" and "West Coast" server for example.  This would work 100%.

Trying to integrate an offsite over the internet Tuner into your system will require more investment of time and possibly additional software.  For example are you going to want to stream the full HD recording from his tuner to your system or could you transcode it first into a smaller stream that would get used by your system.

Personally unless you want to be on the cutting edge, have the knowledge to do, then the simpler method is just to have two MB3 installs.

Carlo