OT: My windows 8 upgrade hell

crashkelly

crashkelly

Well I think there has been some positive progress on this, finally :)

Not going to say things are working as I have not gotten that far into the setup after installing Win 8.1 last night, and I am just not a fate tempter if you know what I mean.

I broke with standard issue testing procedures and changed two things at once, via the BIOS I shut off QuickSync that is related to the Intel Graphics card and Lucid, and I did a clean install of Windows 8.1. So far no crashes or unexpected reboots and the Intel graphics card doesn't even show up in device manager.

Windows 8.1 setup about 95% of the hardware with default drivers, it missed the CIR (remote control sensor) but I easily found an updated driver for it.

Challenge I am having now is updating the NVidia graphics drivers. The latest and greatest install no problem but the Vision 3D utilities won't "start" as there is no 3D sensor present (not the right way to say it but I do not have the emitter at all as I have the htpc hooked it to my 3D TV and that is the emitter). To be honest I have not looked into this that much as I just got the OS installed late last night.

Anyway, progress and a lesson to me to RTFM sometimes as that is where I picked up the bit about QuickSync

Cheers

• Like 1