Convention for Intro/Ending

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

Greetings,

I didn't see a topic on this when I searched, surprisingly.

What's the proper convention if you have Intro's / Endings ?

Lighthammer

Huh, ok, I thought that would be clear, but apparently not as clear as I thought it would be.

So on a few series, I have the Intro and Ending completely separate from the series. 

I was under the impression that Media Browser could recognize this, but I have no idea where to properly stick them (provided it can be done).

I have them sitting in the Specials folder of those various series right now

IE: 
<Series>

--> Season 01

--> Season 02

--> Specials

What I am asking is: where should they ACTUALLY go in terms of conventions and can Media Browser actually see them and do something with them once they're there.

Should they be in something like this:

<Series>

--> Intros

--> Season 01

--> Season 02

--> Specials

TBH, I'm not particularly super concerned if Media Browser can't, at this time, do something with them, but I'd still like to play good convention practices and stick them in the right spot.

I thought I saw something somewhere that suggested ebr either was working on or released an extension that deals with this, but I haven't paid close attention to it.

Edited by Lighthammer

Yeah, that's what I'm struggling with too.  Do you just mean the series pilot and finale?  If so, they are just the first and last episodes.

Maleficarum

Dunno about TV shows but I know anime like Bleach often change opening/closing videos each season and the dvds include them as seperate viewable videos along with the episodes (which include them as per transmission)

• Like 1

Lighthammer

Yeah, that's what I'm struggling with too.  Do you just mean the series pilot and finale?  If so, they are just the first and last episodes.

The opening and ending credits.

Dunno about TV shows but I know anime like Bleach often change opening/closing videos each season and the dvds include them as seperate viewable videos along with the episodes (which include them as per transmission)

You're on the same page with me.

In some cases on some videos, this is how I've acquired them. In other cases, various reasons have caused me to remove the intros because of too much garbage on them, tracking errors, encoder stamps etc. When this happens, I usually grab a good copy of the intro and ending and just stick in a folder with a .ignore file.

At some point, I've considered removing all the intros and endings from my collection to make it a little easier to jump from episode to episode and to reduce video size, but this is going to be a lot of work, meaning unless I can find a very clean way to do it, it's going to be in the back burner for a long time. It's not enough of an exact science just making an action in Premier and chopping the files, sadly. 

That being said, I'm looking for what is the best convention for doing this.

Based on ebr and Luke's statement, I'm gathering MediaBrowser doesn't actually HAVE a convention for this. I felt/thought it was something under development at one point, but apparently not!

So that being said, could we establish a dialog on the proper convention for this sort of thing?

Edited by Lighthammer

Okay, well no we don't have any handling for those (first I've heard of them).  You would just have to make them specials.

Lighthammer

Ok, now that we cleared that up:

I know this sort of things probably falls under ultra low priority, but could we at least go ahead and put together a convention for this with the assumption they might get some sort of love down the road (maybe years off! >.>).

Throwing them in the Specials Folder feels very --- awkward. 

Maybe doing something like:

[series]

--> Credits

--> Season 01

--> Season 02
--> Specials 

This might be apt.

I feel at some point an Extras folder might be prudent too, but feel like this should be a specific folder allocated to a specific purpose.

Specials, to me, should be reserved for either special DVD content, cut scenes or specials that aired within the umbrella of the series but don't actually count towards the episode count (a practice done less today then it was about a decade or so ago).

Deathsquirrel

Interesting, never encountered that.  You could use the multi-part video naming conventions but then you will need multiple copies of those files named for each episode.

BATTLE DONKEY

As was mentioned before, you may want to try placing them in a "backdrops" folder and let the videos play in the background while browsing seasons/episodes

BATTLE DONKEY

If you dont want it playing repeatedly, its customisable, set it to play the intro once and after its finished it will go back to changing backdrop pictures again

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
rhodges

I too am looking for a way to get Emby to ignore a few files. Some anime, they encode the opening and ending sequence into a single file and then use the linking feature of mkv to "link" the opening and ending to the main episode. This saves a few hundred mb on each episode.

I cannot put these into an ignore folder. For the mkv link to work, they have to be in the same folder.

I am trying to find some way to rename these without them being picked up by Emby. I tried renaming them with an underscore prefix, I tried with a period as a prefix, nothing. They keep being picked up.

Edit: It looks like making them hidden will work. I noticed they don't have an episode number. I think it was getting the season number from the folder. It would be nice if it just didn't add the file if it couldn't determine the episode number.

Edited by rhodges