Do not like the current new view based browsing

ronvp

Please do not take this the wrong way, but the new view based setup just does not work for me (or my family for that matter).. it really does not provide more information or usability than before and it requires to many clicks to go where I need to go. When I select movies on the EHS, I want to go to my movies, not another view selector where I have another movies option.

Also, most themes are not yet setup to handle it and as such image handling is not very good..

I just hope we do not remove the folder based option...

Also, in the view based option, I note that for those of us that do not have any favorites( I just do not use that at all), there is a empty favorite option.. would be nice to be able to stop showing empty favorites.. 

Finally, I like to mention that it would be really cool to allow users to reconfigure their layout (view orders, sorting, etc..) from within the Client. Having to go back and forth between the web client and the regular client is just not clean. Especially with several machines and users.

techywarrior

I'd recommend spending the time to configure the views in MBS the way you want because over time all the clients are going to be using those views. This presents a much more unified experience across all the different clients. It doesn't really make sense that your collection should be structured differently depending on what device you happen to be using.

In the meantime there is an option in MBC to toggle "legacy folder viewing" on so it will behave much like it did before.

The inability to configure from the client is a know "issue" that will eventually be remedied. The new Windows 8 app that is currently in beta also uses the unified views from MBS and it has some of the configuration options built in so you don't have to go to MBS to configure as much.

As much as a pain it is at least you should only need to setup your views once. (and you'll be happy that if you get another device/client in the future it will respect those settings and you won't have to configure it separately)

We hope to later bring the settings into the apps so that they can also be done directly there without having to go to the web client. But techywarrior is right in that we're allowing you to design your presentation so that it can be applied consistently across all of your devices.

I'd recommend spending the time to configure the views in MBS the way you want because over time all the clients are going to be using those views. This presents a much more unified experience across all the different clients. It doesn't really make sense that your collection should be structured differently depending on what device you happen to be using.

As much as a pain it is at least you should only need to setup your views once. (and you'll be happy that if you get another device/client in the future it will respect those settings and you won't have to configure it separately)

I have spend considerable time setting up my views in MBS, but I just do not like what is presented in the clients, to many layers between me and my movies and for my kids it absolutely does not work (unless I keep there folder from being included in the "my views") and graphics support in the clients is just lacking.

Take the subdued or chocolate theme, all of these just added another layer.. so when I am on the EHS and select "Movies" I get several sub menus (or views), Favorites is just an empty box. (I do not use favorites at all), with TV, I get 2 empty favorite boxes (series and episodes), and the others show square boxes with a compilation of movie folders all warped to fit in the square box.( I can not find a way in the server to upload different default graphics or a way not to show the favorites. I actually like subdued and chocolate, but in the folder based mode.

There is now way (that I can find in the Web client) to upload different default images for the various view option (upcoming TV, Favorites, etc..).  Also, with the new views, some themes do not allow to put a label under the views, so all I got is a picture with a compilation of images.. I maybe nitpicking it here, but all in all, this is not an improvemend (for me)

Square theme handles the graphics better than the other two I mentioned, but it too needs to be updated to work with the new views or more options for the default graphics and sub views need to be made in the server.

Also with the new approach for my kids (shared PC) I have a single folder with all kids stuff, including some TV shows (Spongebob, looney tunes, etc..). If I use the new View based options and include this folder, they no longer have a way to quickly find their stuff. Then if I exclude it from "my views" it does show up in the clients but then it is effectively back to folder based browsing so I have some of the EHS folder based and some View based..

Also, I like to keep my current folder structure, because it works well with the PLEX DLNA server. As a side note: the MBS has poor graphics support on my Samsung (no images for most movies unless in the actual movie folder)

Again, I just hope we keep the folder based option in the clients, For me this is a critical feature.

pritch33

Its not that hard to keep the old look as mentioned. Tick legacy view in the settings in MBC, worked for me I also unticked the boxes under views in the web interface Automatically group content from the following folders into views such as Movies, Music and TV:    and now the web interface now looks like my old school setup also. I still run a very old look as per MB2 and I like it that way. but some of the newer features are cool and worth the hassle of having to make some changes along the way. 

Ray

Its not that hard to keep the old look as mentioned. Tick legacy view in the settings in MBC, worked for me I also unticked the boxes under views in the web interface Automatically group content from the following folders into views such as Movies, Music and TV:    and now the web interface now looks like my old school setup also. I still run a very old look as per MB2 and I like it that way. but some of the newer features are cool and worth the hassle of having to make some changes along the way. 

Ray

I know that and I had done that several weeks ago.. I am just concerned for the future. Good thing is that Luke appears to have plans to provide a API to the clients so it can be done from there. Also, the views need to be implemented in the metadata manager, so we can update some of the graphics

The API for editing the preferences already exists but it is not a trivial task to implement all of that in something like MBC.  It also isn't going to be all that easy for a user to manipulate all of those options with nothing but a remote control.  Personally, I would find it much easier to bring up the web page on my phone to make those changes using point and click (especially considering it is a one-time operation) but I understand this is not intuitive.

• Like 1

Man, this was a pain in the arse to implement but here it is.  Only the most important options for now.

54e3823507862_mbcviewconfig.png

• Like 8

techywarrior

Very nice Ebr. Will be really good to finally have all the clients have consistent displays of data.. it's so annoying when I go into WP8 and Win8 apps. lol

Nice one @@ebr, you got that Android TV thing finished yet?  :ph34r:

*deletes account and runs away*

I sincerely hope to get back to work on that tomorrow :).

• Like 1

Overseer

Really like that config screen, deeply appreciate seeing this come to light. Really did not like having to do that through the web client.

WarrenH

Very nice Ebr. Will be really good to finally have all the clients have consistent displays of data.. it's so annoying when I go into WP8 and Win8 apps. lol

consistent ... like Favourites in MBT or the Win8 app...

Man, this was a pain in the arse to implement but here it is.  Only the most important options for now.

Absolute love it!.. will this now overwrite the settings on the server or will this configuration be only for a single MBC installation??

Absolute love it!.. will this now overwrite the settings on the server or will this configuration be only for a single MBC installation??

Read the note at the bottom of the options in the screen cap I posted... ;).

However, if you use Legacy Browsing this is irrelevant.

Read the note at the bottom of the options in the screen cap I posted... ;).

However, if you use Legacy Browsing this is irrelevant.

Not sure if this is possible, but would it would be nice if the configuration in the web client serves as a default and then have the clients use a custom configuration? This would give us the best of both worlds.. i.e.: Those who like to have the same configuration for all clients, can just use the defaults set by the web client and those who like different views, can do that on a client by client basis..

Sorry, looking to standardize and reduce the points of configuration, not increase them.  Ease of use and having the user see what is expected in each app is the goal.