Am I crazy or did supporter prices increase?

bishop

I've been playing with MB3 for a couple of months now and was looking to donate lifetime soon.

Even though I don't use the apps and only utilize the XBMB3C addon I figured I'd support the project as a whole.

When I loaded into my dashboard I saw that the price of lifetime increased $10 sometime in the last day or two?

PLEX gave a blog post with a weeklong window for people to upgrade if they hadn't already and I can't find anything on the MB3 site regarding this change.

Thank you.

shaefurr

Nah I believe they changed the supporter options, it used to be a flat $15 or so when I donated, now it has monthly, yearly and lifetime options. Lifetime being $40 so ya its gone up. Not surprising since how much work has gone into MB. Still a very reasonable price though considering Plex is $149 for a lifetime pass.

Though I have no idea when it was changed.

Edited by shaefurr

It was a while ago, actually. Our costs are going up significantly as our users are growing and as you guys are clamoring for new apps and features. We appreciate you guys becoming supporters, it's what helps keep us running and bringing you guys new toys.

• Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

The MediaBrowser supporter cost is really good for the benefits. It could be much worse. Plex was $79 for lifetime about 18 months ago. It is $149 now.

strager

It is a donation.

Under US law it doesn't qualify as a donation as you are receiving something in return.... that being said, I don't give a hoot what they want to call it - it's well worth the money.

• Like 1

Maleficarum

From my understanding, there ares supporter-only plugins so that would be your something in return.

Deihmos

Under US law it doesn't qualify as a donation as you are receiving something in return.... that being said, I don't give a hoot what they want to call it - it's well worth the money.

That is not true. A donation can be made to benefit a cause but in regard to US law this isn't tax deductible because media browser isn't a registered tax exempt organization. XBMC Foundation was at one point but they failed to file a 990 in 3 consecutive years thus losing their tax exempt status. Some organizations will give their donors a gift for donating. Donation or not it isn't much money.

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1