Simple metadata question.

negativzeroe

negativzeroe

Hi all I don't like my library folders cluttered so I left the metadata download folder the default, which I noticed is:

%AppData%\MediaBrowser-Server\data\metadata

If I were to reinstall Windows (say if I want to reinstall it to Program Files instead), I could just copy that folder into the directory that it installs to in the right folder path, I would have all the things I have downloaded/edited correct?

saitoh183

Correct...But MB doesnt allow you to choose the install location but you can change the location of the metadata folder from the MB Dashboard. I have mine on another Drive and not on my C drive

negativzeroe

Thank you, but if I were to simply move the folder for the server to my program files manually, then create a scheduled task in Windows, then point to the metadata path in the settings, would you foresee an issue with that? The primary reason I ask is if I wanted to create another user on my computer, then disable the old one (say stop using the alias Zeroe and use my actual name instead), I would still want to be the admin on MediaBrowser. That is the only reason I would want to put it in a more universal location than appdata. I've found that after a while, performance does take a hit from appdata, even if you clean it up, and found that creating a new user for yourself is a great fix. I don't really want to reinstall if I don't have to because I have an SSD. Thoughts?

saitoh183

Your installation of MB shouldnt be a issue for performance. What i would suggest is just moving your metadata, ImagebyName,Transcoding and Cache. For the logs, you can use a Mklink command to move them. Your better off not moving the MB server installation because then you might run into problems when it comes time to update the software. You could also use a mklink if you want to move it off the C drive since this will not affect updating. I use a SSD drive and have 0 issues in performance and my server is used for much more then MB. I just redirected those folders to a data drive so they dont cause so much read/write on my SSD.

negativzeroe

Ok thank you for your insight, just to clarify I'm not having any issues either but it was something I wanted to know just in case. Or if I get OCD enough to do it anyway.

saitoh183

Ok thank you for your insight, just to clarify I'm not having any issues either but it was something I wanted to know just in case. Or if I get OCD enough to do it anyway.

Np

thefirstofthe300

A simpler way to migrate the data folders off of your SSD would be to copy them to the new location, point the server at the new locations in the dashboard, do a rescan, and once you are sure it worked, delete the old folders.

• Like 1