Essential questions from a WMC / CableCARD user

KD6ICZ

Ok.... I've searched and searched but can't get a clear YES or NO answer to my question.

I use WMC with two Ceton tuners and TWC. I think TWC locks all channels down as copy once.

I want to eliminate my Slingbox and placeshift directly from my WMC server with Mediabrowser. Is this possible? Will I have complete access to live and recorded TV? Is there a easy to follow tutorial that tells me how to set this up?

I'm not an expert but I think the only way you can playback those channels is with WMC.  That means you wouldn't be able to stream them to other MB clients.

I'm not an expert but I think the only way you can playback those channels is with WMC. That means you wouldn't be able to stream them to other MB clients.

Thank you!

Looks like I'm still stuck using Slingbox.

Got it. I would really like to find a virtual WMC Extender. Software that looks like an extender to WMC but actually transcodes for placeshifting. I'm sure there are many legal issues with this. But then again Tivo does it so I don't know.

reluctantflux

I'm confused with those that think this won't work.  This should work fine with ServerWMC + WMC + Mediabrowser.  That's how my setup is, and I don't have any issues, but I don't think I have any copy once channels.  But in theory, since WMC is doing all of the initial recording into a WTV file, it should just work.  

By Playshifting, you mean pause/rewind/fast forward live tv, right?  The only way you might have issues in this setup is if you try to use DLNA direct from the tuner for Copy Once channels.  I know SiliconDust has DLNA, not sure about your Cetons.  If it does, DLNA might not work, but then you just turn off that capability, and it will transcode everything for you.  

You can use an Xbox 360 as an Extender to WMC.

Otherwise, you can "split" tuners to separate PC's (using a Ceton ETH 6 network jack)...but both need to run Windows Media Center. It's a little flaky and not recommended.

John

Yes that part I know. I was saying I wish there was a software extender that would trick WMC into thinking it was an Xbox or Echo but actually is transcoding to stream out to a portable device. Like Tivo Stream does.

dark_slayer

I'm confused with those that think this won't work.  This should work fine with ServerWMC + WMC + Mediabrowser.  That's how my setup is, and I don't have any issues, but I don't think I have any copy once channels.  But in theory, since WMC is doing all of the initial recording into a WTV file, it should just work.

Because it doesn't work. If you have copy-once you can't even play your recordings on a different computer running WMC. The official MS WMC extenders are your only option. ServerWMC can't change this

@@reluctantflux that is fine for non-encrypted (copy once channels).  Most CableCard is encrypted copy once.

Original poster has Time Warner Cable that encrypts all but basic channels. 

I have to "pick" this nit

Encrypted and DRM are not the same thing. Every cable provider encrypts every channel. Decryption is done by the cablecard and it's tuner (Ceton or Silicondust). I wouldn't say most cable is copy-once. FiOS and Comcast are copy-free outside of the few premium movie channels like HBO, Cinemax, Starz

For TWC nearly the whole package is copy-once.

Copy-once vs Copy-free is a CCI bit on the decrypted channel. It's DRM not encryption (at least encryption in terms that are typically associated with tv tuners)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

Yes that part I know. I was saying I wish there was a software extender that would trick WMC into thinking it was an Xbox or Echo but actually is transcoding to stream out to a portable device. Like Tivo Stream does.

There was a project once called "Softsled" that tried to RE the extender model and allow it to work on any x86 box. Never produced anything

At least with android there is some hope. Silicondust's Prime tuners have DLNA which only needs DTCP-IP on the client end to watch copy-once channels. This was relegated to the PS3, but there are some android devices that will offer this as well. No placeshifting yet, but it's something