Cheap PC Client

Bert

techywarrior

That's an Acer not an HP :P

Seems pretty nice. I guess it depends on what you are looking for tho. For a simple client a Roku would be cheaper and smaller.

For a full computer there are a few options in the sub $200 space now. But that Celeron chip would probably out perform the Atom based chips in the sub $200 market.

LOL, I'm sure you meant it tongue in cheek but I meant HP as in horsepower.  The issue with a Roku for me at least is the reliability of live TV and I believe there to be audio limitations.  Additionally, I use DVRMSTOOLBOX to skip commercials which is nice.  My issue with this is getting WMC on it is going to be additional unless I can use my previously purchased (and currently in use) key.

techywarrior

Haha, totally tongue in cheek. If you process the commercials on the server before they are added to mbs then that wouldn't be a problem.

Not sure on audio limitations on roku. I think it has more to do with what it is plugged into.

If you process the commercials on the server before they are added to mbs then that wouldn't be a problem.

Dammit, now you have me second guessing my purchase!  What do you mean with this?   DVRMSToolbox only creates EDL (I believe they're called) which then skips in WMC, I don't have it cut anything.  Are you saying the same can be achieved with ROKU (ie it would somehow read the same EDL files?

techywarrior

Dammit, now you have me second guessing my purchase!  What do you mean with this?   DVRMSToolbox only creates EDL (I believe they're called) which then skips in WMC, I don't have it cut anything.  Are you saying the same can be achieved with ROKU (ie it would somehow read the same EDL files?

Oh, no sorry. I think I confused that with something else. I thought people use DVRMSToolbox to cut the commercials out. But maybe that is some other software that they use with the toolbox. If that were the case then you could have it cut the commercials and then copy the result into a recorded TV folder that MBS (via the appropriate plugin) would read.

Although it would be pretty cool if a plugin could be made that would read the EDL file (or whatever is created) and skip the commercials on transcode or playback.

I believe it is possible to cut commercials with DVRMToolbox but the benefit to me in not cutting them is if it screws up, I can turn the skipping off and not lose the program.  Your probably thinking of MCE Buddy which is cool and I use that as well.  The result is I end up with doubling up my recorded OTA TV.  DVRMSToolbox for the original WTV files for computers and extenders around the house and MCEBuddy generated MP4's for streaming to other clients.  I agree it would be awesome if there were a plugin for reading the EDL's but from the looks of the DVRMSToolbox, that program is dieing a slow death.  Apparently, the developer is a developer here as I was told in another thread.

Koleckai Silvestri

That's an Acer not an HP :P

Seems pretty nice. I guess it depends on what you are looking for tho. For a simple client a Roku would be cheaper and smaller.

For a full computer there are a few options in the sub $200 space now. But that Celeron chip would probably out perform the Atom based chips in the sub $200 market.

You can get an HP Pavilion Mini with a Celeron CPU and HDMI out as well as USB 3 support for less than $200. Well if you can find one in stock somewhere. HP seems to have a hard time making enough of them.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-stream-mini-desktop---200-010

Deihmos

That is too big. The Celeron Nuc is a nice option but you need a drive and memory. If you have a spare knocking around then it is a good option. I used DVRMS in the past but I decided not to install it because I barely ever look at Live TV and almost never record anything. I think development is dead because there isn't much point of it anymore but at least it still works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102062&cm_re=DN2820FYKH-_-56-102-062-_-Product

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

You can get an HP Pavilion Mini with a Celeron CPU and HDMI out as well as USB 3 support for less than $200. Well if you can find one in stock somewhere. HP seems to have a hard time making enough of them.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-stream-mini-desktop---200-010

This isn't a bad option as it already have the memory and HD drive included. Not a fan of the color though.

Deihmos

That's $70 more for a smaller footprint and new vs Refurb. The one I linked has usb3 too.

Also a smaller electricity footprint and the nuc comes with a build in IR receiver. It idles at 5 watts and uses 10 watts when playing video.

dragon2611

Those aren't bad, I have one running my server at the moment works but not quite grunty enough for real-time transcoding of 1080p

Ebuyer have an AMD in the same Chassis on offer for £120 inc VAT at the moment for those in the UK

http://www.ebuyer.com/662872-acer-aspire-xc-115-desktop-pc-dt-svtek-003

I presume it would have GPU decoding support for most HD video, my older E350D board did (Although the linux drivers were somewhat iffy)

Edited by dragon2611

wraslor

Picked one of these up http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883218045&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6155355&SID=i617jzel9u00s3dy00053

Was on sale for 150 you can find it for that with a little googling.  But runs awesome in a small form factor, will be doing a video review on it shortly.