MB3 Finally An STV Replacement?

skl_mobile

skl_mobile

I just wanted to thank the creators of MB3 and all the people writing plugins for it.

I have been using SageTV for the past 10 years.

I have a Server with 8 ATSC Tuners & 2 Firewire Links to Motorola Comcast boxes.

5 of the 200 series Sage boxes.

Also a 14TB FreeNas with Plex Media Server Integrated, 8TB of that being movies and series I have downloaded or converted from STV

I like to have my tv shows available when I want. So sue me.

I will say WAF/GAF is awesome.

I have been looking for a replacement for a while because Sage doesn't interface with Plex Like I would like. I like the plexpass features and pay because I like to share with friends.

Here are the points to which I must meet in order to replace Sage & Plex.

1. Records on Multiple Tuners(DVR Plugins for MB3 do this, a sage DVR plugin would be nice)

2. Pause Live TV(Same as above)

3. Stop Playing media in one room, go to next room and resume playing where media was stopped(MB3 sounds like it can do this)

4. Play netflix(MB3 looks like it can do this with PlayOn which is how SageTV does it)

5. Play Amazon VOD,Hulu,Redbox(same as above)

6. Play vast library of movies categorized already(Thanks Sickbeard for the downloads & XBMC metadata files & SageTV BMT for integrating TVDB and IMDB based on file naming convention, MB3 looks like it can possible use that naming convention, but can it pick up existing metadata?)

8. Android Client for phones & tablets(Plex Currently-No Live TV!!!, looks like its there via amazon(DVR Plugin!!!))

9. Android Client for google TV boxes(Plex Currently-No Live TV!!!,might be able to sideload MB3(DVR Plugin!!!) via amazon)

10. Roku Client(Plex Currently-No Live TV!!!,MB3+(DVR Plugin!!!))

11. Windows PC, Tablet and Phone Clients.

12. Placeshifting(Family member has a SageTV 200 box that connects over cable modem to my server to watch TV shows, MB3 via and GoogleTV or MX2 Android box possibly?)

requested features

1. PiP Live TV(2 streams from the DVR plugin???, and 1 DVR steam and 1 Video Steam??)

2. Rasberry PI Distro.

I have 1 Roku, 3 Google TV boxes, 1 NVidia 7800 Integrated HTPC with XBMC, one MX2 Android Box for TV, 1 Vizio Smart TV, 3 Raspberry Pi's all on different TV's along side the Sage Boxes. These are for tinkering purposes when I have time to test out different TV stuff in my search for that synergy. 

I bought these hoping to find some kind of synergy between these devices and my HTPC/NAS system, but Have not yet. MB3 looks like what I have been looking for. I want to set it up, configure it, let it rip and enjoy TV and quit hunting for the damn synergy I had with STV until Google bough it. I was even able to setup 2 SageTV systems for consulting clients 8 years ago.

And sage has all kinds of plugins, which it seems MB3 is working on.

Given the points above, I think MB3 will surpass it.

So thank you for the hard work.

Now who do I donate to to make sure the NPVR, Playon & GoogleTV works?

Edited by skl_mobile

thefirstofthe300

Most of your requirements are already met; however, I don't know ithe answer to a few of these requirements. Google TV is the one thing that I know will probably never see a fully supported MB client. If your Google TVs have DLNA clients, you can use them and get most of the features that MB has to offer.

1. No experience with Live TV so I don't know if multiple tuners is possible. I know Live TV is possible though.
  2. Again, no experience with this.
  3. Built in and fully supported. Works out of the box.
  4. PlayOn appears to support Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon VOD but it doesn't appear to support Redbox instant.
  5. See above.
  6. MediaBrowser is built to be one of the best media servers for metadata management, IMO. It can pick up Kodi NFO files and existing images without a problem. Anything that is missing will be downloaded. Very well done in this department.
  7. Currently, MB has an Android Client for phones & tablets. Development has slowed down a little due to changes in the dev team but things still work mostly.
  8. Mentioned above. No Google TV support currently and probably won't be unless a community dev makes it happen. DLNA client would allow you to view your media on it though.
  9. There is an actively developed Roku client.
  10. I do believe that all three are actively supported here.
  11. It is possible to watch all of the content on your MB server remotely. I don't know if it is possible to do using a SageTV box (that is what you are asking right?). I know you can do it using any of the other clients though. MB even has a service called Connect that allows you to grant other people with an MB compatible client the ability to watch media from your server using a simple login. All it requires is a forum account.

The numbers are a little off because you forgot number 7.  :)  ;)

If you decide to go with MediaBrowser, you can donate to each plugin developer on the plugin page (if they have setup a way for you to pay).

• Like 1

skl_mobile

Most of your requirements are already met; however, I don't know ithe answer to a few of these requirements. Google TV is the one thing that I know will probably never see a fully supported MB client. If your Google TVs have DLNA clients, you can use them and get most of the features that MB has to offer.

1. No experience with Live TV so I don't know if multiple tuners is possible. I know Live TV is possible though.
  2. Again, no experience with this.
  3. Built in and fully supported. Works out of the box.
  4. PlayOn appears to support Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon VOD but it doesn't appear to support Redbox instant.
  5. See above.
  6. MediaBrowser is built to be one of the best media servers for metadata management, IMO. It can pick up Kodi NFO files and existing images without a problem. Anything that is missing will be downloaded. Very well done in this department.
  7. Currently, MB has an Android Client for phones & tablets. Development has slowed down a little due to changes in the dev team but things still work mostly.
  8. Mentioned above. No Google TV support currently and probably won't be unless a community dev makes it happen. DLNA client would allow you to view your media on it though.
  9. There is an actively developed Roku client.
  10. I do believe that all three are actively supported here.
  11. It is possible to watch all of the content on your MB server remotely. I don't know if it is possible to do using a SageTV box (that is what you are asking right?). I know you can do it using any of the other clients though. MB even has a service called Connect that allows you to grant other people with an MB compatible client the ability to watch media from your server using a simple login. All it requires is a forum account.

The numbers are a little off because you forgot number 7.  :)  ;)

If you decide to go with MediaBrowser, you can donate to each plugin developer on the plugin page (if they have setup a way for you to pay).

Thanks for the confirmation. Lucky number Sleven!

Oh and 11, I meant replacing the SageTV Boxes with a PI, or Google TV Device which I have enough of  :)

thefirstofthe300

Thanks for the confirmation. Lucky number Sleven!

Oh and 11, I meant replacing the SageTV Boxes with a PI, or Google TV Device which I have enough of  :)

Then that is really simple. Pi (preferrably version 2) with the Kodi add-on and you are ready to go!  You do lose the DVR functionality so everything will have to be recorded with the server.

CalypsoCowboy

I'm working on replacing a SageTV system as well. I'm not there yet, I'm still experiencing a few hick ups. But in general it is going well. I'm using NextPVR for a DVR background and various different clients, Chromebox, FireTV stick, Roku

I'm using MB3 more for a central server and remote viewing.  I'm using Kodi/OpenElec with MB3 themes for my day to day front end. The main reason is the Live TV is a little more mature with the Kodi products. 

But just start playing, there is lots to learn, but MB3 and Kodi are a very powerful combination.

-Josh

skl_mobile

Then that is really simple. Pi (preferrably version 2) with the Kodi add-on and you are ready to go!  You do lose the DVR functionality so everything will have to be recorded with the server.

What exactly do you mean lose, maybe I am misunderstanding, but I can replace the DVR Backend of SageTV with NPVR+MB3, and the MB3 Plugin for XBMC will give me back that functionality?

Edited by skl_mobile

thefirstofthe300

What exactly do you mean lose, maybe I am misunderstanding, but I can replace the DVR Backend of SageTV with NPVR+MB3, and the MB3 Plugin for XBMC will give me back that functionality?

I worded my last post poorly. The MediaBrowser clients themselves won't record TV as that is not what they are built to do. The server, however, can manage and stream recordings made by a Live TV software such as NextPVR. The actual recordings are made by the PVR; MediaBrowser just uses the API of the PVR software to manage and schedule recordings.

I believe that clients can schedule recordings (if they support Live TV) but the recordings they are scheduling are recorded by the PVR that MediaBrowser is configured to manage.

The client for Kodi is a special case because Kodi has Live TV plugins also and can record using those plugins. However, recordings made by Kodi won't be managed by MediaBrowser because the MB addon for Kodi isn't capable of doing it and shouldn't need to do that either.

Does that make more sense?

Edited by DaBungalow

TolkienBard

I just wanted to thank the creators of MB3 and all the people writing plugins for it.

I have been using SageTV for the past 10 years.

I have a Server with 8 ATSC Tuners & 2 Firewire Links to Motorola Comcast boxes.

5 of the 200 series Sage boxes.

Also a 14TB FreeNas with Plex Media Server Integrated, 8TB of that being movies and series I have downloaded or converted from STV

I like to have my tv shows available when I want. So sue me.

I will say WAF/GAF is awesome.

I have been looking for a replacement for a while because Sage doesn't interface with Plex Like I would like. I like the plexpass features and pay because I like to share with friends.

Here are the points to which I must meet in order to replace Sage & Plex.

1. Records on Multiple Tuners(DVR Plugins for MB3 do this, a sage DVR plugin would be nice)

2. Pause Live TV(Same as above)

3. Stop Playing media in one room, go to next room and resume playing where media was stopped(MB3 sounds like it can do this)

4. Play netflix(MB3 looks like it can do this with PlayOn which is how SageTV does it)

5. Play Amazon VOD,Hulu,Redbox(same as above)

6. Play vast library of movies categorized already(Thanks Sickbeard for the downloads & XBMC metadata files & SageTV BMT for integrating TVDB and IMDB based on file naming convention, MB3 looks like it can possible use that naming convention, but can it pick up existing metadata?)

8. Android Client for phones & tablets(Plex Currently-No Live TV!!!, looks like its there via amazon(DVR Plugin!!!))

9. Android Client for google TV boxes(Plex Currently-No Live TV!!!,might be able to sideload MB3(DVR Plugin!!!) via amazon)

10. Roku Client(Plex Currently-No Live TV!!!,MB3+(DVR Plugin!!!))

11. Windows PC, Tablet and Phone Clients.

12. Placeshifting(Family member has a SageTV 200 box that connects over cable modem to my server to watch TV shows, MB3 via and GoogleTV or MX2 Android box possibly?)

requested features

1. PiP Live TV(2 streams from the DVR plugin???, and 1 DVR steam and 1 Video Steam??)

2. Rasberry PI Distro.

I have 1 Roku, 3 Google TV boxes, 1 NVidia 7800 Integrated HTPC with XBMC, one MX2 Android Box for TV, 1 Vizio Smart TV, 3 Raspberry Pi's all on different TV's along side the Sage Boxes. These are for tinkering purposes when I have time to test out different TV stuff in my search for that synergy. 

I bought these hoping to find some kind of synergy between these devices and my HTPC/NAS system, but Have not yet. MB3 looks like what I have been looking for. I want to set it up, configure it, let it rip and enjoy TV and quit hunting for the damn synergy I had with STV until Google bough it. I was even able to setup 2 SageTV systems for consulting clients 8 years ago.

And sage has all kinds of plugins, which it seems MB3 is working on.

Given the points above, I think MB3 will surpass it.

So thank you for the hard work.

Now who do I donate to to make sure the NPVR, Playon & GoogleTV works?

I wouldn't be holding your breath for much in the way of Google TV specific development. From what I understand even Google has already, or will in the near future, stop supporting Google TV and be focusng on Android TV. Android TV is going to be largely supported b MB3.

• Like 1

SHSPVR

I wouldn't be holding your breath for much in the way of Google TV specific development. From what I understand even Google has already, or will in the near future, stop supporting Google TV and be focusng on Android TV. Android TV is going to be largely supported b MB3.

You do know that Google TV = Android TV

thefirstofthe300

Android TV is based on Android 5 (API 21) while Google TV is based on an SDK from pre 14 API, so really Google TV and Android TV are not exactly the same thing. Especially when the Android app requires 14 (or is it 16, can't remember) or later.

• Like 2

SHSPVR

Android TV is based on Android 5 (API 21) while Google TV is based on an SDK from pre 14 API, so really Google TV and Android TV are not exactly the same thing. Especially when the Android app requires 14 (or is it 16, can't remember) or later.

But it core is still all base round Android so the API may changes a bit from time to time after it no diff then Windows, Linux, iOS or an other OS you can exp changes in UI.

Edited by SHSPVR

No, not even close (from a development perspective - from a user perspective, yes they are basically the same thing, kind of like WMC and the xbox one).  The Google TV system was abandoned and now there is Android TV.

• Like 4