Download speeds

pritch33

pritch33

Ok so I have a mate downloading a movie from me trialing the new download feature and for a 2.6 gig movie its showing 7 to 8 hours. I know there are many variables when it comes to internet speeds but this seems a little long. I know my uploads are not the best in Au but is there setting or some way of checking if this is the norm or making adjustments to the upload speed.

sorry for the large pics 

54d9b283c8af8_SpeedtestnetbyOoklaTheGlob54d9b2e95e5ca_SpeedtestnetbyOoklaTheGlob

Thanks 

Ray

There won't really be a "normal" length of time it takes for someone to download media from you, it's mainly all dependent on your upload speed... If you have a slow upload speed it won't really matter what the other persons download speed is, there will be a bottleneck on your end.

I can see that you have a faster download speed than I have, but from those images I can't tell what your upload speed is.

Try clicking on the "Share this result" button after your speed test, and then click on the "image" tab, and copy the URL of the image.

You'll end up with an image like this:

(Yes, my internet sucks... lol)

4130906548.png

Edited by pmac
  • Like 1

swhitmore

I'm in Australia also. Upload speeds are horrid. You can blame the 'A' in ADSL. In Australia we use an Asymmetric DSL system, meaning download speeds are prioritised much higher than upload speeds. You can easily expect your upload bandwidth to be a tenth of your download.

pritch33

There won't really be a "normal" length of time it takes for someone to download media from you, it's mainly all dependent on your upload speed... If you have a slow upload speed it won't really matter what the other persons download speed is, there will be a bottleneck on your end.

I can see that you have a faster download speed than I have, but from those images I can't tell what your upload speed is.

Try clicking on the "Share this result" button after your speed test, and then click on the "image" tab, and copy the URL of the image.

You'll end up with an image like this:

(Yes, my internet sucks... lol)

4130906548.png

4130945338.png

Make any sense LOL 

pritch33

I'm in Australia also. Upload speeds are horrid. You can blame the 'A' in ADSL. In Australia we use an Asymmetric DSL system, meaning download speeds are prioritised much higher than upload speeds. You can easily expect your upload bandwidth to be a tenth of your download.

Yer I know it sucks I just expected a bit better than what I had 

swhitmore

4130945338.png

Make any sense LOL 

Yeah, so that's 0.68Mbits/sec. A 5 Gigabyte movie will take just over 16 hours to copy. 

I've got the same problem here in Canada. Living in a rural area, I don't have access to cable or fiber Internet, so I'm stuck with ADSL and it's lousy upload speeds... It didn't bother me in the past, until I found out you could stream MB to friends/family. Makes me jealous of my friends that live in the city with their fast Internet connections lol

I am in Oz as well and I regualrly upload large files for work to a cloud service and the upload speed is horrendous.

As swhitmoresaid it is going to take a fair while given our speeds here in Australia.

pritch33

Thanks All. I suspected it was my upload speed but just wanted some confirmation and to make sure I wasnt missing something in a great new feature thats been added. So now I have to wait for the NBN or hell freezes over. I know what will come first LOL. 

bennymac

A lot of you guys here are posting ADSL speed tests that suggest ADSL1 not 2 sync speeds. As @swhitmore said our uploads here are in Aust are dogshiit but it's worth checking with your ISP that you have an ADSL2 Port and if you don't ask if one is available. Port upgrades don't cost anything or effect any contract.

A lot of people move into an area that only initially has free ADSL 1 ports at the time they get adsl. Most people don't know to check again 6 or 12 months later.

IF you can get an ADSL 2 port your speed tests will pretty much double. I did mine a year ago. Other factors like distance from the exchange will hinder sync however. If you're say 4km's from the exchange you might not see much again. It just depends.

Edited by bennymac

Wow, glad I don't have to deal with ADSL anymore :)  I just ran speedtest to a few places around the globe.  I'm in the US.

I guess drug money and high speed internet go hand in hand (last entry). :)

Bankok

Down: 21.32 Up: 8.69

Chatan, Japan

Down: 13.95 Up:21.08

Cape Town, South Africa

Down: 23.10 Up: 23.91

Sydney, Australia

Down: 36.26 Up:24.75

Singapore

Down: 46.92 Up: 25.24

London

Down: 250.97 Up:288.49

Quebec

Down 192.01 Up:331.53

Bogota, Columnbia

Down: 309.25 Up: 328.38

bennymac

Wow, glad I don't have to deal with ADSL anymore :)  I just ran speedtest to a few places around the globe.  I'm in the US.
I guess drug money and high speed internet go hand in hand (last entry). :)

Bankok
Down: 21.32 Up: 8.69

Chatan, Japan
Down: 13.95 Up:21.08

Cape Town, South Africa
Down: 23.10 Up: 23.91

Sydney, Australia
Down: 36.26 Up:24.75

Singapore
Down: 46.92 Up: 25.24

London
Down: 250.97 Up:288.49

Quebec
Down 192.01 Up:331.53

Bogota, Columnbia
Down: 309.25 Up: 328.38

Haha yeh it's so true they do go hand in hand. I have a mate from Bogotá and always give me heaps of crap about it.