Problems restoring Server Backup

pmac
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

As the title implies, I'm having some problems restoring a Server Backup.

I'm migrating my server onto a new machine, and trying to get everything set up right now. I've been using the Server Backup plugin for a while on my old machine, but I can't quite figure out how to get the backup onto my new machine. So I followed Luke's tutorial for manually migrating the server info.

I've now gotten to the point where all of my users and plugins, etc. are migrated properly, but I can't figure out how to get the watched status of my media migrated to the new machine.

I used to use Trakt for my personal MB profile, but stopped using it a while ago because it was causing issues with MBT crashing. Also, this wouldn't help any of the other users in the house that aren't using Trakt.

So my main question is, how can I get the watched status for all of the users onto the new machine?

Both machines are on my network, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of copy/paste from one machine to another (fingers crossed...)

Okay, so I think my issue was just that my new machine wasn't finished loading all the metadata for my media. It's almost finished now, and has loaded up some of the watched status's for my shows. 

On a (kind of) side-note. Are there instructions somewhere that I'm missing, that explain how to use the server backup tool? Backing up your server data is pretty straight-forward, but I couldn't figure out how to restore from a backup on a new machine. I ended up just using @@Luke's tutorial on manually restoring your server settings, which wasn't too bad. But it would be nice to be able to use the plugin to do this.

Thanks

All you would need to do is install the backup plug-in on the new machine and point it to wherever your backups from the old machine are.  Then pick one and hit "Restore".

That's what I figured, so I tried it last night. I pointed it to my backup folder, but I wasn't presented a list of previous backups. When I physically locate my folder in Explorer, I've got a number of backups there, but they don't show up in the WebUI. No matter, I've got it figured out now with a manual backup, if I ever need to do this again, I'll try the backup plugin again.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

@@ebr, I've just finished a fresh install of Windows 10, and I'm having the same issue with restoring from a server backup as I was before.

I've installed the server with everything set to default, including creating a basic user profile (which is necessary to get to the server settings). I then installed the server backup plugin and pointed it to my MB3 backup folder; it found all of my server backups, and when I select one, and click "select all" to restore all of the settings, nothing happens when I click "restore". I've tried this with all of the backups on my system, nothing happens at all when I click on "restore"

Any suggestions?

I don't have my old "AppData" folder on this machine to do a manual restore, all I have are my MB3 Server backups.

Also, I just noticed that although I've linked it to my Emby account, it's asking me to join Emby Premier, even though I'm a legacy supporter, so I'm not sure if this is part of the issue.

Happy2Play

Have you tried re-entering your support key then doing the restore (since the plugin is a supporter plugin)?

Happy2Play

Also at least for me Chrome doesn't show the user section in restore so you may have to use a different browser to get those options.

@@Happy2Play, the user section was available to me, but your suggestion lead me to trying to restore from Internet Explorer instead of Chrome. The restoration was successful from within IE, I'm still waiting on a library scan to check to see if everything is working, *Fingers Crossed*...

Strange that I can't restore my settings from Chrome though, I think I remember @@Luke saying that the server is designed with Chrome in mind.

I'm running Chrome v48.0.2564.116m, and it says it's up to date.

My library scan has completed, and I restarted the server just to make sure, but now I'm having a strange issue:

All of my media shows up in the metadata manager, and my media folders are correct in the server settings, but my libraries don't show up in ET or in the web client. The media section is just blank.

So I have no way of watching any of my media.

Any ideas?

Also at least for me Chrome doesn't show the user section in restore so you may have to use a different browser to get those options.

are there any errors in the chrome debugger?

can you show screenshots that demonstrate the issue?

56cd340c34633_EmbyServer.jpg

1.) Metadata editor shows all media/metadata for everything in my libraries.

2.) "Media" section in Web client is empty.

3.) Can't adjust views because media folders are not showing up in Web Client (other than in metadata editor)

My Media Libraries are linked to the correct folders using a UNC network path, and the folders are shared (I confirmed this by Copy/Pasting the full path as written in the Emby Server into Windows explorer, and it linked to the correct folder).