TV series studios and networks are not the same

Aphid

Studios and networks for TV series appear to be considered interchangeable in media browser. For example, the tvdb metadata provider loads the "Network" field as a studio, and the web client displays a series' studio in the "Airs on x" string.

While most US series have are produced by the network which airs them, this is not always the case, and the two entities cannot be used interchangeably.

johnchimpo

Does TVDB provide a field for Production Studio? I didn't think they do, so correct me if I'm wrong. MB3 can only work with what data is provided and if TVDB doesn't make the distinction then MB3 shouldn't. I believe the accepted definition is the TV network which airs the program in First Run.

Studios may filled from IMDb field "Production Companies". See for example

Since we don't scrape imdb it wont.

Other plugins can scrape the production studio.

TVDB does not confuse the two. It provides information on the network, and says nothing about the studio. It is MB which is conflating the two.

Edited by Aphid

CWNashvegas

Lack of support for both for tv shows isn't unique. In fact, I'm trying to find a way around this myself. For ex, metabrowser only has the "network" field for tv, no studio field. If you look at the code for some common programs, display of these fields often involve the equivalent of "network > see studio" for tv, and other such things. The convention seems to be to wrangle the two fields together then display them as studio for movies and networks for tv, regardless of which field they are in.

Can anyone tell me if MCM has fields for both for tv shows? I haven't used it in ages so I don't remember.

crashkelly

Lack of support for both for tv shows isn't unique. In fact, I'm trying to find a way around this myself. For ex, metabrowser only has the "network" field for tv, no studio field. If you look at the code for some common programs, display of these fields often involve the equivalent of "network > see studio" for tv, and other such things. The convention seems to be to wrangle the two fields together then display them as studio for movies and networks for tv, regardless of which field they are in.

Can anyone tell me if MCM has fields for both for tv shows? I haven't used it in ages so I don't remember.

Just looked at a few series.xml files in MCM and they do have both <Network> and <Studio> tags. In probably about 75% of the files they were the same value but in the other 25% they were different.

Let me know if you would like an example file

Cheers

Edited by crashkelly

CWNashvegas

Just looked at a few series.xml files in MCM and they do have both <Network> and <Studio> tags. In probably about 75% of the files they were the same value but in the other 25% they were different.

Let me know if you would like an example file

Cheers

Thanks for the info. An example file would be great, if it's not too much trouble. I could create a file myself but I'd like to have one that's from a popular program so that it's an "in-use" format. At least once a year I play around with all the various htpc softwares just to see what everyone is up to, and I'm about due, so I'd like to examine what the various implementations (and possibilities) are. Plus, I have a friend who wants me to find something to install for him. MB3 won't really fit the bill for him at this point so I've been "volun-told" to get something going for him.

crashkelly

Sorry for the delay in getting this to you :(

I am still hunting for one in my collection where the network and studio are different. Will post when I find

Cheers

series.xml

• Like 1

CWNashvegas

Sorry for the delay in getting this to you :(

I am still hunting for one in my collection where the network and studio are different. Will post when I find

Cheers

Thanks! It doesn't really matter that they are the same. My main concern was getting a file that was formatted by a known program. I can just replace Studio with Mutant Enemy or Marvel Television.

(No, I'm not THAT awesome - I looked it up to find legit replacements / additions to the list of studios. :D)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Yea even though he's technically right about this, we need a really good reason to split it out and give our ui developers a breaking change.

crashkelly

Thanks! It doesn't really matter that they are the same. My main concern was getting a file that was formatted by a known program. I can just replace Studio with Mutant Enemy or Marvel Television.

(No, I'm not THAT awesome - I looked it up to find legit replacements / additions to the list of studios. :D)

Thanks again!

No problem, my pleasure to help out.

Cheers

CWNashvegas

Yea even though he's technically right about this, we need a really good reason to split it out and give our ui developers a breaking change.

On my part, it's mostly curiosity. And OCD, as always. I'm trying to find out if any programs actually split this out. I keep my metadata "portable", in the sense that I have sufficient data to use anywhere, so I tend to be a completionist to cover all my bases. I happened to be looking into this around the same time the OP posted. Another example is episode level "guest stars" (single field) vs. "cast" (multiple actor credits). Implementation / display of these is not consistent across programs. For truly portable data I have to be aware of what is used and how.